By thechimpchapter - 31/12/2011 06:48 - United States

Today, I found out that the neighbor I'd given a bottle of wine to for Christmas is a recovering alcoholic. FML
I agree, your life sucks 31 471
You deserved it 7 170

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Kypopz 9

The guy's like, "Eh, one sip wouldn't hurt".

Im a muslim too. I dont think its awkward. Youre awkward.

Comments

Kypopz 9

The guy's like, "Eh, one sip wouldn't hurt".

and now you will forever be blamed for the return of his alcoholism by his family.

SecretMe00 5

Well they could always just use it for decoration..

GoW_Chick 14

But it's just so tempting just sitting there can't you hear it calling "drink me, DRINK ME!"

I think it would be more appropriate to say 'was', after you gave them the bottle of wine.

You might get billed for his AA sessions.

Haha,do you know how tempting that would be?

BarDownDaily 12

Kypopz can have as many sips as she wants. *Do the creep aaaaahhhh*

GovernorGeneral 8

Don't worry OP. his mom drank all the wine. So you're still good ;) ( refer to one of the previous fmls about his his mom all the expensive wine he got....) ^^

GovernorGeneral 8

...How his mom drank all the...** sorry dunno what couldve happened to make that typo so stupid -.-"

I'm a Muslim do you know how awkward it is when people give ME wine as a gift?

What?! Muslims can't drink wine? Haha xD

Im a muslim too. I dont think its awkward. Youre awkward.

I'm going to have to phone a friend on this one.

how awkward, exactly, is it to say "that's very kind of you, but I don't drink"?

I'm Muslim to "does secret cool Muslim handshake" but yeah you just sort of say thanks but I don't drink and then they try ask you questions about why you can't which make you launch into a lengthy conversation about your religion( I tend to slip in some stupid stuff like how when we all pray together we can control the weather) it's so much fun and they believe it for a while anyway.

I can move mountains. Changing the weather is for schnopps. 'o' #goestohell

And that's why there is such a thing as "regifting." Don't feel bad OP, that is kind of personal information, so how were you supposed to know?

You don't need to discuss your religious beliefs. You can say 'I don't drink' and leave it at that. There are so many reasons to not drink, and it's a personal decision.

2- since when cant Muslims drink wine?? My friend can drink wine. It's true they don't break open a bottle for Ramadan (sp?) but they still drink it.

magic99 3

Very devout muslims don't drink, but they can just regift. A recovering alcoholic getting wine is much worse because they were once addicted and will have more trouble controlling the urge than a Muslim/ non-drinker.

FMLitUP69 0

Probably not as awkward as being on a plane with a bunch of white people. Too much?

You might be a Muslim, but you obviously don't read the Qur'an. "And do not give the weak-minded your property, which Allah has made a means of sustenance for you, but provide for them the unacceptable gifts given to you from others as a means to feed, clothe, and quench their thirst." An-Nisa (4:4) Basically, Allah invented regifting. Hint hint.

detroitsucks247 3

Its scary that The muslims screen name is MURDURah...

56- It's forbidden in Islam, but some still do.

GlitteryMasakali 1

Well that be a great story he can tell his AA

Alkohol is still alkohol, whether its wine or vodka... You didn't know though op so you shouldn't really think too much about it.

It's not that funny, in some languages its alkohol.

xStaciexLynnx 15

But he happens to be speaking English right now so it's 'alcohol'.

Yes, but vodka bottles are twist tops where most wine bottles need a cork screw. Hopefully the neighbor didn't have one and fell off the wagon. You didn't know, OP. Wine is a great gift to anyone else. I received a few great ones myself this holiday. (: Hob Nob my fav.

This is one of those instances where the gift is rewrapped and gifted right back on OP's birthday or something.

Lol your comment and your profile has confirmed my theory that black people are naturally awesome.

DCFan 9

Big deal. It was the thought that counts.. I wouldn't worry, I'm sure they didn't think anything of it

poopmonster05 3
BIGBOY4rmAHM 19

Neighbors thoughts "what a prick"

IKickPuppiesHard 16

Well now you have an excuse to bond with the neighbor by finding out where s/he'd like to go for AA and rehab.