By MochiMomoChan - 17/09/2009 09:32 - United States

Today, I found out I'm on wage garnishment because my mother, who took out a student loan for me back in '05, didn't pay off the $2015 owed when she said she would. I got screwed over financially because of her. FML
I agree, your life sucks 34 870
You deserved it 9 377

Same thing different taste

Top comments

While she did dick you over by not doing what she said she would, you shouldn't be relying on your mother to take out student loans for you anyway. If you're old enough to go to college then you're old enough to fill out the paperwork for a loan.

So you're moaning because your mum didn't pay of YOUR debt? Boo Hoo.

Comments

And you're here on the internet complaining about it? What. The. ****. Why don't you put down the ******* laptop and go get another job? What the hell is wrong with you? How is being on the internet helping your money situation at all. GTFO. ... For everyone who posts similar comments on FMLs relating to fat people... do you see what I just did? Your comments are just as ******* useless.

Oh cry me a river. I WISH I only owed $2K. You're not screwed, you're lucky!

The money isn't the issue. It isn't the AMOUNT of debt that matters, it is the fact that she didn't KNOW she owed it, and therefore, is now screwed, financially. It isn't just wage garnishment, but this will affect her credit score as well, and as an adult, you need a good credit score to do anything- open a credit card, buy a car, buy a house... all of those things will be MUCH harder for her to do now, and she won't be able to get good rates where she would have if the loan had been paid off. Of course nobody's parents are obliged to pay for their adult children, but again, the POINT is that she SAID she would, and then didn't. And not only that she didn't, but that she didn't TELL her daughter that she didn't. Not being able to follow through is ok, as long as you INFORM the other person that you cannot or will not do whatever it is. YDI for not checking on it? Hello, this is her mother. Unless she's had some awful experience in the past that made her not trust her mother (which is doubtful, since in that kind of a relationship, it would be highly unlikely for the mother to offer to pay anything for her), she trusts her mom. If you can't trust your family, your parents, who can you trust? It is obvious that her mother never did anything to make her doubt her sincerity, and therefore, she trusted her. That kind of relationship is a GOOD thing, and the issue here is that her mother didn't do what was expected, and now that trust is gone. When my mom says that she will do something for me, whatever it is, I trust that she will do it. I absolutely DO NOT check up on her and hound her about it. That would be insulting. So, not only is she screwed financially, but she can't trust her mother anymore. I think this is definitely an FML, and definitely not YDI.

underyourbreath 8

^^ You definitely hit the nail on the head

About time you learned to pay your own way in life.

$2k dollars. You're not screwed. Call the people.

captainmaharet 1
kellster 2

Why did she take out a loan for you in the first place? Take out your own damn loans, and then pay them back your own damn self. Problem solved!

totally your fault! take care of your own life dude. blaming others is just lazy and gets nothing done.

No, you a-hole, she helped you go to college. NOW its your turn to get a job and pay it off with that fancy edumacation