By YankeeDoodle - 04/03/2010 05:30 - Australia

Today, I discovered my employer is advertising for a contractor position within my team performing basically the same role as myself. Except the pay is seven times more. FML
I agree, your life sucks 25 620
You deserved it 2 065

Same thing different taste

Top comments

This is not an FML, this is an opportunity! Apply for that position! And if you don't get it, negotiate about a better salary!

Comments

So, apply for the job. You have experience with the open spot.

sparxva 12
cmurphy2 0

Ask for a raise they legally have to pay you the same amount if they are performing basically the same work. Im an HR major I learned about that

not at all. Thats the point of merit based pay. they dont need to pay them the same at all

Now I hate to be a grammar Nazi, but this one's driving me mad right now - unnecessary use of the reflexive. "Basically the same role as myself" should be "basically the same role as me". You should only use "myself" when you're both the subject and the object of the sentence, e.g. I'm talking to myself, touching myself, killing myself, punching myself in the face. Anyone else is talking to/touching/killing/punching _me_. Same goes for yourself/you. I'm hearing this kind of hypercorrection all the time, people trying to be a bit more formal because somehow saying "I saw you the other day" isn't polite enough or something. I've lost count of the number of customer service types that have said something like, "I just have a few questions to ask yourself..." I have to stop myself from replying that I'm sorry but I'm the only person who can ask myself questions.

actually, it should be 'performing basically the same role as *i*', as in 'performing basically the same role as I DO'. i is the nomnitave, me is the accusative. there's nothing wrong with being a grammar nazi, my personal motto is 'grammatik macht frei', but if you're going to police grammar, make sure you're absolutely correct.

While we're on the subject, English also requires that the first letter of a sentence be capitalized, as well as the singular first-person pronoun 'I'. Also, it's spelled 'n-o-m-i-n-a-t-i-v-e'.

I think you're not worth much as an employee. Why didn't you quit and apply for the position? Or threaten to quit if you don't get a raise? Here's why: Either you know you're employer will let you quit and won't hire you back for that position, or you didn't think about doing this. Either way, your pay is justified.

quit and ask for a letter of recommendation saying, "I'm sorry, but this othr job pays more..." then apply for the one your employer set up, using the letter as job history.

Klima_fml 29

Ask about it and get the pay raise, or as everyone else is saying just apply for it.