By YankeeDoodle - 04/03/2010 05:30 - Australia

Today, I discovered my employer is advertising for a contractor position within my team performing basically the same role as myself. Except the pay is seven times more. FML
I agree, your life sucks 25 620
You deserved it 2 064

Same thing different taste

Top comments

This is not an FML, this is an opportunity! Apply for that position! And if you don't get it, negotiate about a better salary!

Comments

So? Apply for your own job. Not a big deal!

This is utterly ridiculous and FALSE! Let's assume that you make $20,000 a year (I'm guessing you make more but for sake of argument let's start at a low number.) If you make $20K then that means that there is a job available "performing basically the same task as yourself" that is offering a pay of $140,000. That's ludicrous. Stop fabricating these stupid stories and posting them on here just to make people pity you. You're a loser with no friends.

yeah, except the advertised position probably requires a degree and years of experience, whereas you haven't earned your GED and you just started. this is like the weekend golfer who wonders why Tiger gets paid so much more than he does.

Perhaps you're getting fired because your employer realized people with your credentials and qualifications aren't suited for the job. However, I agree with Ambushdm5, 7 times your salary sounds like bullshit to me unless you're a part-timer making below minimum.

hoddington 0

As a contract worker I often make 5 or 6 times what full timers working for the same company do when we are out on site together. But I have no sympathy with them, or with you. I sort out paying all my taxes, and NI contributions (including the bits your employer pays for you), plus I have to pay for an accountant, and my PLI and equipment insurances. And so it maybe work out that I pick up only £350 for a days work instead of the £100 full timers get. Which sounds like a great deal, and some weeks where I get 3 days work that's fantastic. But at the moment I'm off work for 6 weeks after a car crash, I cant claim benefits for it and I don't get sick pay. And when I take a holiday I don't get paid. And when work is quiet I can go for a couple of weeks with no work as companies use there full timers to do everything. aAll in all, if a company has somone employed for say £30k (in the UK at least) then it costs then going on £100k a year. So what if the contracter charges 7 times as much, unless they are doing at least half as many days as you it will still cost the company less (and often as contractors are shed loads more efficient than whiney full timers will be better value for money). If you can live like this then quit and become a contractor, but how much significance do you place on knowing how you're going to pay the next months rent and everything already? Stop whining, you aren't happy with you're job the quit it, sure there's someone else who'd love to have it, but from my experience the people that have your attitude never ever make it as a contractor and just end up bankrupt and on benefits being bailed out by mine and your current colleagues taxes!! In fact, if I was your boss and heard your rant I'd fire you on the spot, grow up for god sakes!!

In my profession, when Ive worked as a contractor, Ive gone through contracting firms. They charge ridiculous amounts of money, and then I would go in and do my thing for a while. I'd usually end up making 6-8 dollars more an hour than the full time employees, BUT when they decide they dont have enough work, the contractor is the first to go. I actually worked full-time for a hospital for 3 months. The manager basically wanted to get rid of people on her staff and hire me and a coworker on full-time. When management changed, all of a sudden there were no hours for me, and my contracting company was crap. I ended up employed with no hours for 3 months. I had no medical benfits (you had to work for the company for 6 months before those could kick in) and no one at the company would return my calls/emails. Contracting work is never easy, and you have to be sure you're with a good firm, if you aren't out there on your own. It may pay well, but there aren't as many guarantees. I know contractors in my field can charge anywhere from 50-100 dollars an hour for their work, but there's no guaranteed full-time work, benefits, or job security.

boatkicker 4

Seriously? The economy is in the tank right now, and half the time there aren't even enough jobs for the regular full time employees. Being out of work when you make significantly less to begin with hits you harder. They don't deserve to be fired because they feel like complaining. Plenty of people have complaints about their jobs. **** off.

boatkicker 4

Edit: This was about small businesses, not large ones.

mileycyrusisgay 0

WAIT SHES THINKIN............. wonder what she's gonna say.......

NewJoisey 0

your not the dude who took a job and said you charge $15 an hour for a contractor when the last dude charged $200 by any chance are you?

helka_fml 0

better start looking for another job. looks like you're getting fired soon

Apply for the position? They are willing to pay 7 times as much as this guy is getting to get the job done right.