By David - 02/09/2016 06:01 - United States - London

Today, my boss found out I had applied for a much better paying job. He told me I'd do a better job and make more money there. Then he fired me. FML
I agree, your life sucks 15 651
You deserved it 2 329

Same thing different taste

Top comments

How did your boss find out, unless the other job called him for a reference. If youre looking for other employment you gotta try and keep it quiet (Ive informed jobs Im looking, but hadnt informed the place Im working at about it). Good luck at the new job if you got it, orherwise good luck searching

Hopefully the boss at the other job isn't such an asshole

Comments

Hopefully you get the new job, but why would you tell your boss that unless you got accepted???

OP never said they told their boss. They said the boss found out.

Hopefully the boss at the other job isn't such an asshole

I mean if you own a company your gonna have a worker leave you suddenly you want as much time as you can to find a new employee, or just to keep everything in order. (so you dont suddenly have a job opening)

That's why you give a 2 weeks notice, #16. Plus the boss fired him suddenly so now he has to look for new employee

Tsumetai_ 11

or maybe the op wasn't going to quit their current job, lots of people have to work multiple jobs. Also I hope op got the other job since he only applied for the job, nothing in the fml says he got it. Otherwise we may get another fml saying: ''Today the job I applied for didn't hire me and my previous job fired me because I had applied to that other job so now I am unemployed. FML"

Right? I work two jobs. My previous employer didn't like people working multiple jobs so I quit and still work two jobs.

Hopefully you get the other job OP. So much for getting a reference right?

How did your boss find out, unless the other job called him for a reference. If youre looking for other employment you gotta try and keep it quiet (Ive informed jobs Im looking, but hadnt informed the place Im working at about it). Good luck at the new job if you got it, orherwise good luck searching

He's a moron. Now, you can collect unemployment until your new job starts. Let's hope you get this new job. Otherwise, you might have to crawl back to your old boss. Yuck!

It's a lot harder to qualify for unemployment if you've been fired

#18 its the other way around if its the companies fault for you being fired its easier to get unemployment. its when you willingly leave that makes it a bitch

Unless you get fired for something criminal, that is the most straightforward way to collect unemployment. If you quit, it's a bitch,

Im no job expert, but would that entitle you to severance pay?

Not really, though now they can apply for unemployment.

Yes, if you get fired they have to give you severance pay of two weeks. However, getting fired makes it harder to get approved for unemployment. At least that's how it works where I live... Could be different for OP.

Sucks you haven't been accepted and you were fired. If you told anyone that you were looking and applying, lesson learned. Never tell coworkers that youre looking! Especially possible pay increases! Seemingly friendly coworkers may not always be friendly and love to gossip!

OP - Sorry about that. It's always important when looking for another job not to let it affect your current job. Never give your current employer as a reference. If you have a co-worker you trust, ask them if they will be a reference. Obviously your now ex-boss is an asshole - Never use him as a reference in the future. If you work as a professional or in a larger firm you are due at least severance pay plus pay for any unused vacation and personal days. Given your now ex-bosses childish reaction to hearing you were looking for another job, I suspect it's probably a very small company with few protections. If there is a human resources department contact them to make sure you at least get all you are owed. Unfortunately I doubt you can collect unemployment - "Fired" is not the same as laid off. Fired implies "with cause" and even if it's a stupid and bad cause it's not a layoff where a person is terminated because there is not enough work for them but they were performing appropriately. Theoretically in the case of an unjust termination there might be cause to hire a lawyer and go after the firm - But that very rarely works in the real world and if and when it does it takes years to see the cause through. And nobody wants to hire a person who has a history of suing their employer.

You can collect unemployment if it is an unjustified firing. Make an appointment with the unemployment office near you to see if you can collect.