By Anonymous - 30/11/2010 06:06 - United States

Today, I asked my boyfriend what he wanted for Christmas. He then told me that he would only tell me if I promised not to get mad, so I agreed. He told me that he wants me to start working out because I'm getting fat. FML
I agree, your life sucks 20 621
You deserved it 33 102

Same thing different taste

Top comments

This is called honesty. The best gift he could give you.

JayDawgg 0

well it's your fault for being fat

Comments

Well, OP. You set yourself up for that. And he didn't want to hurt your feelings but you pulled it out of him. YDI. He chose not to dump you when you started gaining weight, so obviously he likes you for other reasons too, not just your looks. Take his comment as a hint that there are things you can improve about yourself and start losing weight ... unless you enjoy your weight gain of course.

gigity123 0

then do something about it instead of complaining

goodlike_fml 0

why are so many men assholes? why can't they just accept women as they are? I think men are the main reason that girls get anorexia and die. if she wants to be the way she is let her. She doesn't have to change if she doesn't want to. It's her life, she controls it and not her boyfriend. And if he can't accept her, well then he's just another f***ing, stupid asshole.

Wasted_Dragon 0

lol OP, just don't eat so much, and move around more in your daily routine. Maybe this is a wake-up call from your bf. At least he is trying to make the relationship work.

People diagnosed with anorexia typically have had an event occur in which they did not have control in their life, and they turn to controlling their body as a mechanism for coping. Anorexia is a disease, and is not typically the result of having a boyfriend suggest you lose a little bit of weight by working out. Anorexia is bad, yes. Death as a result of clogged arteries or living with a substandard quality of life because of a refusal to exercise and eat healthily is just as terrible, though. I'm not advocating being model thin, but caring for yourself generally benefits you more than anyone else in your life. You feel better, are sick less days out of the year, increase the length of your life, and LOOK GREAT in clothes. :) If you can't do it yourself, hire a trainer. Throw out the snacks/junk food. Join an intermural team. MOVE! Don't do it for him, OP: do it for yourself.

Shite, 121, I keep making arguments, then scrolling down to find that you've already made the same point elsewhere! That's what I get for coming in late and not reading every comment before making my own.  In re eating disorders: Frankly, I'm rather embarrassed and disgusted by the repeated suggestion that men are to blame for women's eating disorders/low self-esteem/body dysmorphia etc. Men don't deserve the credit-- we're quite adept at doing those things to ourselves. We fought for years to stand as equals on our own; why put power back into male hands? We're empowered enough to be responsible for our own mental health, and we're the ones perpetuating the shit "ideals" by guzzling up all the consumerist media trash made available to us. Until we stop accepting the idea that the new Cosmo/mascara/fad diet/whatever will make us pretty, and therefore happy, advertisers will use the "perfect" image to sell their shit, to us, our daughters, and their daughters.  And if you don't believe that, consider this: if rejection and pressure from men  are to blame for eating disorders, how do you explain the anorexic and bulimic lesbians of the world?     

srslyguise 0

No way is that an FML. He could've dumped you on the spot, but he clearly isn't with you for looks. Admit you've let yourself go and go to the gym, and bring your man to spend time with.

Hayllee 4

Never, EVER post an FML suggesting you're fat. There are a lot of people on here who feel fat people need to die in a fire, and you won't get any sympathy. I'm not one of them, as I'm trying to lose weight (it's hard when you're on medication making you gain weight, have a naturally low metabolism, etc.) but it's honestly not that bad.

BREAK UP WITH HIM NOW. A good boyfriend would love you for you. seriously.

justanotherbird 19

Ugh, I hate when people say this. Although it depends on how much weight you are gaining, it is NOT an unreasonable request at all and doesn't mean that he is being "an asshole" (as some have said) or doesn't love her. In fact, if she truly is letting herself go, I see this as showing he cares about her. After all, if he didn't love her he could just dump her and find someone who keeps themselves in shape. It might be an uncomfortable truth, but attraction is important in most healthy relationships. It's great that he tries to be open about stuff like this. I keep in shape for myself first and then my boyfriend. If I started gaining weight, I would be happy he discussed it with me instead of just letting it happen.

BREAK UP WITH HIM NOW. A good boyfriend would love you for you. seriously.

One way or another: (Your relationship) ----> (Rocks)