By Anonymous - 22/10/2009 03:16 - Canada

Today, for my two month anniversary, my boyfriend surprised me with a "present". He then lifted his pant leg. He had carved my initials into his leg with a knife. FML
I agree, your life sucks 56 541
You deserved it 5 336

Same thing different taste

Top comments

pitbulllove 0

Ummmm, although the thought is nice, I think a tree or a rock would have been a more aproprate canvas. I think I would really worrie about dating a guy that carves himself.

Comments

alwaysalady 0

RUN. Run fast, and far. Dye your hair, change your name. That is a bad, bad, sign.

xila_fml 0

Here's the thing, this is not an FML or a YDI, actually. Your boyfriend isn't a "psycho," but he does have a mental illness. He's a cutter, and that's an unhealthy symptom of an underlying illness. Mental illness is chronic, just like diabetes or cancer, and his recovery will be life-long. His first step to recovery is to seek help and to be evalutated by a psychologist. Until he chooses to seek treatment, either by reaching out to friends and family first or going to see a doctor, there is little you can do to help him. He has a long, difficult, and lonely road ahead of him as many of the comments here prove. If you want to talk to him about his cutting, do so in a very "I'm not judging you, I just want to listen" manner. Be aware that if he is not in treatment that, depending on his illness, he could be emotionally volital and if he doesn't want to talk do not force him. He could also become very defensive. Be aware that this is his issue and has nothing to do with you. He may project it onto you, however; but as I said cutting is caused by illness. Mental illness is a bio-chemical problem in the brain and nervous system. He will most likely require both medication and cognitive therapy to go into remission. He may not want to hear anything about an illness or needing to see a doctor. This is not something you can fix or force on him, but because he is harming himself it is a problem that needs to be addressed. However, since you have only been dating for 2 months it may not be something he's ready to share with you or ask for your help. As other's have said, if he may show violence toward you. This is not necessarily true, but something to be aware of. No violence should be forced upon you and it is not acceptable, illness or no. You are at a point right now where you need to decide if this relationship is something you wish to continue. It will not be an easy road if you stay with him and if he is violent toward you, do not stay with him period. You have a very difficult task ahead of you.

Pretty much this. Not all factually correct, but the sentiment is right!

not all mental illnesses are life long. he could have a personality disorder which can be completely reversed with therapy. people with personality disorders are usually dependent and it sounds like he might be.

moonlight_daze 8

Your boyfriend is ******* badass.

I'm more disturbed by the people replying to this saying they've done that, they've had friends do that, they don't see the problem... really, people? You think this is normal and good? Obviously, these people have no perspective on the situation and they aren't able to see that in ten years that scar will still be there, and therefore a memory of that time will still be there. I don't know about you guys, but I don't want to still deal with crap from when I was in my teens/twenties when I'm 30+. And for the girl with the boyfriend who does this: RUN. I totally get #11's point with trying to help him with his obvious issues and trying to understand his side of it, but as ruthless as this sounds, get the hell out before you're together for long because the longer you're with someone, the harder it is to leave. And if this guys is seriously this messed-up, if you stay with him, your life will become messed-up as a result.

lynSey 0

wow. thats your weirdo boyfriend.

Well there are many ways you can look at this; in some ways its kind of like a tatoo, but not as pretty in the sense that it is a permanent design in the skin which is a bit painful to receive. Though cutting oneself is quite the social taboo isn't it. However, regardless of the act of cutting oneself this shows quite the possibility of obsession which you may want to leave from, though I would be careful how you proceed cause if you run like hell he may follow which becomes a messy tract regardless of what you do from there.