By aw-wtf - 11/08/2009 17:57 - United States

Today, at work, a man bought a lot of really expensive stuff. He paid the large bill with cash, and the manager helped me count the money. When we were done, he handed me a $100 bill to thank me for all the help. We can't accept tips. The manager was next to me. I had to say no. FML
I agree, your life sucks 71 244
You deserved it 3 871

Same thing different taste

Top comments

That. Sucks. Ass. I am so sorry. On the bright side, you're no worse off than you were before!

Ouch well if you would have taken it you would probably been fired which is a bigger loss then a 100 bucks right.

Comments

Interesting application of the dictator game. Assuming that no one above the manager would ever find out, why not offer to split it 90/10? If the manager's rational, he'll even take a 99/1 split. My bet is that most retail managers aren't rational, though, making 50/50 or something close to it the optimal solution for the cashier. Of course, I wouldn't expect the cashier to be able to imagine a possibility beyond an even split.

evlbb2 2

Hmm. You know, what surprises me most is not finding people who use it but rather people who call it by its name. Although yes, it was a particularly nice use of it. Especially on the internets.

You're from Florida, eh? Not Tampa by any chance? Because, if so, I know the Tampa guy who woulda tipped $100.

my name is will hunting I work as a cashier but im smarter then the people who buy shit fml

Why the **** aren't you allowed to accept tips?

i work for retail as well, just do what I do, and accept the tip and take the rap for it later. the manager can't take it away from you if its already in your possession. as long as you don't do it very often you won't get fired for it. well, also i've worked with my company for over a year and they love me, so i'm sure that helps as well.

FYL, yeah. And you would have been fired on the spot I guess if you accepted the bill. What a...

For those saying that "YDI for not being able to count" being such a high bill and paid cash, the manager is REQUIRED to count the money with you.

brie3 0

Doesn't it worry anyone that he paid for a large bill in cash? I would have been hella suspicious OP

jnic 0

Hah, if I were you I would've given him something I had on me in return... then it's technically a private sale! Or write your name on a piece of paper and claim to be selling your autograph for $100, because you're going to be famous one day. ;D