By Anonymous - 03/03/2015 22:02 - Germany - Lahr

Today, after several sleepless nights full of crying, I went to my university's free help center. After telling the psychologist my problems and asking what to do, he looked at me blankly and said, "Uh, it's not depression, I guess. You should go out more and, like, party some more." FML
I agree, your life sucks 33 627
You deserved it 3 335

Same thing different taste

Top comments

jentrynicole 20

You need to go see a real counselor. Depression is a serious issue and to have someone the school employs take it so lightly is really worrisome.

Some people don't really understand from others point of view.

Comments

How did he even graduate?? Hope you get better, not with his advice though! :) Though partying could work...

If you're depressed, partying is the last thing you want to do. Plus, some people - including me - don't even like going out/partying

SystemofaBlink41 27

Same. Maybe I'll go with a few close friends but I can't just wing it if I'm alone and know nobody.

JustinJK 21

I like to party, but not when I'm down. When I'm depressed the last thing anyone wants is me drinking because them I turn into a sloppy drunk who cries and has breakdowns

Being depressed doesn't necessarily mean you're introverted or antisocial. You don't have to look depressed to feel depressed.

I said COULD work, I'm 13 and where I live I'm too young to have ever been partying, so I don't know anything about it?! (Also when you're really depressed you just don't care anymore).

Bigfabthetruth52 22

Some people don't really understand from others point of view.

shiffizzle 13

And that's what all those tuition dollars get you...bullshit.

OP is in Germany. Tuition is free there. But I do agree some returns don't live up to the anount of tuition.

More like "This is what free tuition gets you."

Are you sure this was a psychologist, and not a student doing work/study?

I would expect that kind of response from a peer counselor, not a trained professional! Wow..

jentrynicole 20

You need to go see a real counselor. Depression is a serious issue and to have someone the school employs take it so lightly is really worrisome.

Agreed. Seems like this "professional" doesn't have a clue what depression is. On top of that, "partying some more" is ******* awful advice. I struggled with depression in college and going out to parties only made it worse because I was uncomfortable with meeting new people. I just wanted to be home most of the time. Going out doesn't always help people feel better. At least not people like me. As for OP, I hope you find a coping mechanism. And I give you serious credit for seeking help. It's a great first step.

Partying is not a cure for depression. Real depression is a medical disorder and requires real medication, its not the same as being unhappy or not having enough fun in your life. If someone is ACTUALLY depressed, partying can be the worst idea possible, since alcohol is NOT good for people with depression. This guy sounds like he needs to be reported before his shitty advice does some real damage to someone!

When my struggling friend went to the support centre at her university, before she could get a referral to a doctor or psychiatrist, she had to sit with the counselor. But with extreme depressive lows, there are also highs, and some people really go between these and when hey're on the up/high there's no telling when they'll crash down again. So my friend was going through a high phase, and the counselor didn't want to see her then, despite the booking, because there might be more important, extreme cases. But when you go in they ask you to describe all the bad stuff your thinking/feeling - and putting yourself back in that mindset to describe it can actually put you in it. Last time my friend just freaked at the counselor and called her incompetent - she got a medical referral after that.

It is really great to see so many responses from people who understand what depression is. Not so long ago, it was something no one talked about. It was something to keep hidden from everyone close to you. OP, depression is a serious condition. You need to see a professional. This Dr doesn't understand your problem. He should have referred you to someone else instead of pretending like he knew what was up. Don't let that experience discourage you from seeking help.

I could be wrong 50 but what you're describing is bipolar disorder. Not all people who are 'very' depressed go on highs. I suffer from Borderline Personality Disorder - basically, it's like bipolar but I experience many highs and lows in just one day, every day.

Is he even qualified for the job? He can at least offer some genuine advice.

I hope you get some real help, OP. Remember you're worth it!

x0frnak 13

how is that even possible they they could say that? i'm so sorry, OP. do NOT take that advice- go to a real counselor for it & they will help you. you can get through this :)

x0frnak 13

don't know why part of my comment was deleted but you get the gist

I recommend going to a different psychologist