By Anonymous - 03/03/2015 22:02 - Germany - Lahr

Today, after several sleepless nights full of crying, I went to my university's free help center. After telling the psychologist my problems and asking what to do, he looked at me blankly and said, "Uh, it's not depression, I guess. You should go out more and, like, party some more." FML
I agree, your life sucks 33 622
You deserved it 3 331

Same thing different taste

Top comments

jentrynicole 20

You need to go see a real counselor. Depression is a serious issue and to have someone the school employs take it so lightly is really worrisome.

Some people don't really understand from others point of view.

Comments

A free help centre at a University isn't enough if you get that kind of response. You should go and see a real counselor.

questioninganelf 3

Sounds like he got his degree online.

yea I have to agree!...that is bullshit to say something like that when someone is asking for help!

Nope. Sounds more like he's still working toward his degree. Should still eke out a referral, at the very least.

That guy must be a real professional psychologist! I would've bitchslapped him right on the spot... Idiot...

Well, you get what you pay for, I suppose.

You mean the thousands of dollars spent on tuition? The thing that makes people in debt until their 40? Just saying..

*they're, I'd try and get a refund of those thousands of dollars you spent on tuition if I were you.

It says OP is from Germany. They are definitely not paying many thousands of euros.

He probably dropped out and paid his way through uni

1dvs_bstd 41

Sounds very serious. You really should seek outside help, away from that so-called psychologist.. if he can so be called. At least you're at a stage where you know you need help and are willing to get it. Go see a real psychologist OP.

Well...1) it's free...what do you expect? 2) he's not entirely wrong...go out, be more social, make new friends, try new things. Changing your life and outlook can help. If it doesn't help and you think you really have depression, you need to see a real counselor. It's not something you can fix by saving money.

Sounds like you've never had depression.. It's really not as simple as "go out more" and "try new things" ..

askullnamedbilly 33

To 1) I'd expect that a psychological help centre at a University would deal with two mental conditions on a very frequent basis: Anxiety attacks and clinical depression. I'd expect anyone employed at that centre to be able to deal with both. 2) He IS completely wrong. An individual suffering through a depressive episode is usually not capable of forcing themselves to go out and party, and even if they did, it really wouldn't help. What's alcohol and loud music going to do, magically erase the hormonal imbalance in their brains?

#18 to number 1, just because it is a free service doesn't mean the service and its employees don't get paid.... I won't get started on number 2.

You obviously don't understand what you are talking about at all. The others are correct. Plus a lot of people with depression have some symptoms of anxiety and when you're at your low in both, it can become a serious problem if you try to force yourself to be sociable. Plus, at Uni more often than not partying is just getting drunk in a group and since alcohol is a depressant, it's even more hurtful towards the person's wellbeing. Getting outside and maybe being around some people? Maybe. But seeking put another professional and finding a legitimate way to deal with it? Definitely. The person who told her to go part needs to get their license taken away and lose their job.

Are you sure you didn't take a wrong turn and end up at a frat house?! Hope you feel better soon...

You people are nuts. If you really think that "several sleepless nights full of crying" are something even similar to depression, you really should shut up because you're disrespecting every person who has REAL depression. Grow up people.

nonsensical 26

First, you don't know what she's going through. You've only heard a short part of the story. Second, it may not be depression at all but she still needs better advice than this. She didn't say she had depression, she just asked him what she should do, and he gave her advice that a random person from the street with no knowledge of psychology might give.

1dvs_bstd 41

#24, that was what i was thinking.. there's no indication that OP isn't social or shit... you don't know exactly why the OP is crying at night. More so, prevention is better than cure. It's better that OP stops this before it escalates to another whole new level.

Might not be depression, but there's obviously something wrong with them, even if it's just them needing better stress-management skills. That still requires sound advice and guidance instead of fobbing them off without getting to the root of the problem.