By Anonymous - 01/07/2014 04:26 - United States - Murfreesboro

Today, after losing his job, I reassured my boyfriend by telling him I'd rather be with him living in a cardboard box than to be without him. He responded by telling me he'd rather be dead. FML
I agree, your life sucks 47 415
You deserved it 6 087

Same thing different taste

Top comments

CallMeWindSock 24

I think he might still be a little angry about his job

His reaction isn't about you OP. He lost his job and can't provide like men believe they should so he's more likely to feel like a failure right now. Dont take it personally.

Comments

Maybe he meant he'd rather be dead than without you????

Well that's a good thing cuz he'd rather be dead than without you

he might have meant he would rather be dead than be without you.

Yea.....whats the odds someone is sleeping on the couch tonight

I think it was pretty insensitive to go straight to talk of homelessness to your man when he just lost his job. He is worried enough. How about telling him everything will be fine and offering to step up some? Some men, not all, in a stressed position may have heard that because he lost his job now you may end up living in a box together, or you don't have faith in him. It's kind of like telling someone you would rather starve than have another cook for you when your food was burned. Not so much comfort. I say all this out of 14 years experience being with the same man. I try not to go down that train of thought with him right off the bat when bad things happen.

I'm pretty sure OPs boyfriend means he would rather be dead than living in a cardboard box, not that he would rather be dead than with OP. However I may be wrong, it's kind of ambiguous.

By dead he means that he want to afford a good life for u Don't take it in a negative way

pizza_derivery 5

Maybe he meant he'd rather be dead than without you, but that he'd rather be dead than in that lovely box. Have hope. :)

kev1029 22

That doesn't make any sense...

19 is right! This guy didn't want to hear "I'll stay with you even if you're a failure" (no wonder he reacted the way he did) We want to be shown "I think you're the most important man in the world" and nothing says that better than a bj.