By Anonymous - 22/11/2015 04:54

Today, after having my tonsils removed, I coughed so hard in my sleep that I woke up spitting blood. Turned out I'd ripped my throat. They had to put me to sleep and cauterize the damaged area. Now I'm in even worse pain than before. FML
I agree, your life sucks 25 499
You deserved it 1 549

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Ouch! At least you woke up instead of choking to death on your own blood OP, but the pain must be unbearable. You have my sympathy.

Comments

MonstreBelle 28

If your pain isn't being adequately managed, don't be afraid to talk to your doctor about it or have your nurse talk to the doctor if you're still in the hospital. If you're a minor, have your parents talk to them. There is nothing wrong with asking for pain medication after just having surgery. You're going to experience pain no matter what, but there are things that can help such as: -sip on ice water, or add ice to other beverages like Gatorade, through out the day -use ice packs on your throat to help reduce swelling (20 minutes on, 20 minutes off) -eat ice chips, popsicles, etc. (but avoid red popsicles if possible because they can make it difficult to distinguish food coloring from blood) -eat only softer foods several days to help avoid pieces of food from getting stuck in your throat (mashed potatoes, smoothies, applesauce, regular/frozen yogurt, Carnation Instant Breakfast, etc.) -use a humidifier to help keep your throat from drying out, especially while sleeping -use a throat numbing spray (start off with a diluted 50:50 solution and adjust it as needed) -taking pain medication routinely, even if it's just an OTC medication, until the pain completely subsides (it's easier to prevent pain from happening than treating it after it has already started) Take it easy and get plenty of rest, OP. I hope you feel better soon

michaelm1290 23

24, you really shouldn't be giving post-op advice.. firstly, if he just had surgery and had a complication, he'd probably remain NPO for several days to ensure healing. Secondly, it was surgery in a delicate area involved in swallowing, even further supporting a NPO diet. If inflammation or swelling resulted, you would not want to ice it, you would aspirate the fluid to prevent localized edema from impinging various anatomical structures in the area. And in surgery we don't want to get rid of all pain, contrary to what patients believe and desire. Some pain is more than okay in the post op course after surgery. Other than that, your suggestion of a lozenge type throat-numbing spray is a good one. You're obviously in the field, but be careful with giving post-op care advice out.

Agree with above commenter, definitely should not be eating for several days considering patient already had a complication and required anesthesia again. And pain meds lower the respiratory drive, which would further increase this patients chance of a lung problem developing. -Nurse (not a doctor)

I was given pretty much the same advice by my ENT and I even had the same post-op complication. Like OP, it happened after I coughed but I had just gotten out of surgery and was in the recovery room. After 24 hours, I was told that it was okay as long as I was VERY careful and did things like making sure ice chips/popsicles were completely melted before swallowing and only swallowing very small amounts of liquid at a time. After a few days, I was able to eat as long as I didn't eat anything anything hard or rough enough to disturb the stitches and scabs and, again, only swallowed a very small amount at a time. And there are things that actually do help that some people may not think of, like ice packs. I can't tell you how much those helped me. Ice doesn't need to be directly applied to an injury to help reduce pain and swelling. Icing my jaw was about the only thing that helped after I got my wisdom teeth taken out.

Wouldn't expect the FML community to understand this, but no, if you have dehiscence post-op with pharyngeal area surgery, the CURRENT recommendation is to not swallow for a little over a day. Because if the skin ruptures again, a) it needs to go back to surgery and b) its a lot bigger deal.

MonstreBelle 28

I could have been a bit clearer in my comment. That's my bad. To clarify, I am not saying OP should be doing all of these things right this second. They are suggestions for OP to talk to their doctor about to help reduce their pain during the entire recovery process; meaning when OP can drink, cold liquids can help, when they can eat, soft foods can help, etc. I am also not saying OP should expect a pain free recovery (in fact, I said just the opposite) or that pain is not an important indicator of complications. Yes, pain medication can affect the respiratory system, but that doesn't mean they can't be used in a safe manner. Every single medication comes with a risk of negative side affects. Adequate pain management after surgery is a big aspect of recovery and it's important for patients to discuss any problems they are having with their doctor. Last of all, what I mean about ice packs is that they can be used externally to help reduce pain, not that they should be used internally.

sylvienoir 18

Its *going* to be fine. He's trying to remind OP that even though recovery seems far away it happens faster than you think.

Jeez! I remember when I had mine removed, not fun! Well I'm glad you're ok op! Just some ice cream and a baby pain killer and you'll be good!

Tell that to people who have to go through months or longer of therapy.

I thought it said she got her toenails removed. I was very confused

I know how you feel I ripped mine right after I woke up from surgery for tonsils I went home and played Xbox and talked for hours woke up cuz a pool of blood on my bed. You have my sympathy

You're lucky to be alive, OP; you could very easily have aspirated that blood. Feel better soon..! FYL.

kmw003 17

that sounds absolutely awful, OP! I hope you have a speedy recovery!