By Anonymous - 09/12/2012 16:29 - United States - Cedar Park

Today, a senile old lady came up to me and offered me chocolate. I noticed that it was ex-lax, so I politely told her no. My 4-year-old daughter pushed me aside and ate the ex-lax, because she thought it was candy. I now have a stinky child on a 3 hour bus ride, with no stops. FML
I agree, your life sucks 25 054
You deserved it 11 162

Same thing different taste

Top comments

You couldn't stop your child? I'd never let my daughter take any sort of candy from a stranger. I would have said no, given a reason and distracted my daughter with something else.

Comments

Remember kids: strangers have the best candy.

Strangers have the shittiest candy, actually. EDIT: I just realized the horrible pun I made. *face paw*

Is your daughter from krypton or something? She shouldn't be able to just push you aside like that.

"My four year old child pushed me aside"? What are you a midget? Learn to control your children.

KiddNYC1O 20

It's not that difficult to be placed out of balance. Especially when you least expect it...

TrinityisLife 22

I have children that at the age of 4 who would've feared for their lives if they did something like that. Hell, they wouldn't even throw a tantrum in the store because they knew I would spank them right in the store if they even started. So that just makes me wonder how the hell did your 4yo get around you without you snatching an arm or shirt or something or even smacking the hand with the Ex-lax in it. At the very least, you should've scraped it out of the child's mouth before she swallowed. You do realize that now the child has had a laxative overdose and the shitstorm to come should be the least of your worries. I hope to God you at least had the sense to call Poison Control. >_>

I applaud your efforts in actual discipline. And your efforts against rasing spoiled brats.

You lost me right after saying that you would spank your child... ...beating children is inexcusable, they can be taught discipline without resorting to violence. Apart from that, throwing temper tantrums is pretty normal for a child this age...if yours wouldn't do it, congratuf**kinglations, your child is afraid of you. Also, you are teaching your kid that violence is a solution to problems. Great parenting, really. Concerning the OP: I suppose it was a situation similar to watching a car accident...you know you should do something but all you can do is stare. At least this kid learned its lesson not to take candy from strangers anymore. Shit happens.

You are a ******* dumbass.. Spanking a child is not ******* abuse. Learn your shit. There is a ******* difference and your kids are going to be spoiled brats.. Example you catch your kid smoking. You send them to room. Will that do shit? hell no! You spank them and take away some privlages. That will teach them not to do it. You should be kind when their good but be able to give them proper punishment.

Just because someone doesn't spank their kid doesn't mean they'll grow up to be a spoiled brat. For me, a stern talking-to was honestly enough to put the fear of God into me.

Seems like that's typical USA. 'Spoiled kid? Spank it!' Sure, there are people that grew up decently, and sure, I've wanted to hit a kid before as well... But this IS physical abuse! What is wrong with you, people? Put them in a time-out or something. Spanking them just shows how weak you feel.

I was spanked. I turned out fine. I don't recall it being "abusive". I will use spankings as a form of punishment when I have children, because it works.

"I turned out fine" is the top phrase used by people who did not turn out fine. Interesting fact.

143- Spanking CAN be abuse, particularly when a parent is driven by anger or frustration. Hitting too hard or too high can potentially damage the tailbone or spine, and little ones can be fragile. Spanking coincides with an Authoritarian parenting type. Though not the worst way to raise a child, it's a fact that an Authoritative role is the best route to go. Children learn when they truly understand how doing the right thing benefits both themselves and others. Spanking doesn't teach that. If I were to catch my child smoking, I wouldn't spank them. I'd show them the nasty side effects of it on the health factor, and remind them of the unattractive effects of aging, bad breath, and yellowing teeth and fingernails. I'd want to know what stress caused them to light up, and help them focus on fun and productive activities and interests to enrich their development. It may be more work than spanking my child, but I don't mind more work if it works :)

TrinityisLife 22

I have one child that time outs, talking to, etc never worked. The only thing that got the message across that it's not ok to steal, bite people, or whatever else was to spank her bottom. If I was mad, I didn't do it. I waited until I calmed down. Now my younger child, you can tell him once not to do something and he usually stops. Spanking is not abuse when done in the right manner, especially when it's the only thing that will phase your child when they're in the wrong and don't care of the consequences.

I dislike spanking and never will use it. I wouldn't spank my child in public either because it's no ones business how I punish misbehavior. I find it wrong and total disrespectful. I think a stern talking and leaving out of public eye is good enough to teach a child respect and behave while in public. The whole I was spanked and turn out fine.. Maybe you did but there are people who was spanked and hates their parents for it and never uses the form of spanking either. I disagree with it since doesn't make sense why put fear or pain in them to learn or behave. I believe there is other options to teach a young child right and wrong without using your hand to teach. That's how I will do it.. That's my opinion. Before anyone jump on me saying I don't have a child. Yes, I do have a child and I also witness a lot of spanking in my family that turn children into total brats.

Mskati there is a difference if it's done in an abusive manner it is bad. But it does depend on the kid like one the others said.. Honestly look at half the spoiled brats that only get talked to.. I think a spanking will make them realize it is unacceptable behavior. Send them scared straight sometimes that works. But talking alone is never 100% effective. And as for the person that said showing bad side of smoking.. Health class does that and people still smoke.. I know someone that took their kid to hospital to show them what it is like. But always remember this no method is 100%.. Judge it based on how your kid reacts.. If and when I get a kid.. I will personally try not to spank, but if nothing else works I'll and then only threaten to for awhile..

I do dislike it, but sometimes there is no ither way.. Think of it this way would you rather watch your kid fall into a bad habit like stealing or do an occasional spank.. As for ss they should only done when it becomes excessive and abusive..

Does this FML make anyone else think of Honey Boo Boo?

*talks in high pitched annoying southern voice* "my momma don' tell me what to do, if I wanna eat chocolate, I gon eat it. You better red-neck-onize."

Honey boo-boo don' care. She just wants to eat and haunt my dreams.

Couldn't you have at least grab your child before they snatched it?

YDI for failing to teach her to not accept things from strangers. And the fact you didn't stop her. she's four you know how dangerous it is for kids to have laxatives. Just wow.

You couldn't stop your daughter? Did she swallow it whole and eat the wrapper too? I would have demanded she spilt it out immediately!

redhedsaysrawr 18

I really find that hard to believe, if anyone did that to my child, I would have forcibly made them spit it out even if they managed to get it into their mouth. Sounds to me like op wanted to teach their kid a lesson about taking things from strangers and realized too late they didn't have a chance to get their kid to a toilet.