Testing times

By Anonymous - 13/12/2012 17:04 - United Kingdom - Bromley

Today, I took my driver's test. I was confident and thought everything would go well. My boss ended up calling me several times during the test. Turns out my colleague never showed up to cover for me, and my boss blamed me. Not only did I fail my test, I'm now suspended from work too. FML
I agree, your life sucks 27 159
You deserved it 2 763

Same thing different taste

Top comments

If you didn't answer it, you shouldn't have failed unless you actually were a shitty driver.

NicollieO 7

Turn your phone off next time... And explain your situation to your boss

Comments

When I have someone covering my shift, I always get it authorized/approved by management. It's unfortunate that you don't have reliable co-workers but policies at work are setup for reasons such as these.

Trooth 13

I'm sorry you're having a bad day. Well at least...oh wait there's no positive spin to this.

glamorous18 10

at least he has no job to drive to...? lol

Well that sucks OP, you should drive to Dairy Queen and get you an Ice cream to cheer yourself up..... Ummm never mind.

Seeing as they're in Britain, I'm sure they could get a coach to the east coast and then kayak across the Atlantic without needing a driver's licence.

Thanks Buzz Killington, for killing the little joke.

34 Seeing as the Atlantic ocean is West of GB Op would have to go West...

How old are? What job do you have that requires you to have a "colleague" & the option to be suspended from work but you're just now taking a driver's test?

When I was 16 I worked at Cinnabon. If I had to take my drivers test, I would have had someone cover my shift if I couldn't book it off

unknown_user5566 26

16- "Colleague" is just a fancy word for co-worker, and as far as I know, you can be suspended from pretty much any job at any age.

Some people don't get their drivers license until later in life. I'm 25 and don't have one because I really don't need one. OP may not be in high school, they might have just not needed to learn to drive until now.

Why do so many people think that everyone should know how to drive by the time they're 17/18? Bugs me to no end. First world problems, much? Some people don't want to learn to drive, then it becomes necessary later on for whatever reason. Some people's parents won't pay for them to learn, so they have to wait until they have a stable job. Some people (me, for example) know there's no way in hell they'll afford a car any time soon and therefore see no point in learning until they find a job (it never fails to amaze me that so many peoples parents just buy them a brand new car as a gift and they hardly ever seem to realise just how lucky they are). I'm 20 and I haven't taken any driving lessons; hoping to in the next year but that's purely because it's borderline essential since a lot of graduate jobs ask that you travel quite a lot, and I'm sick to death of train rides and fares. It scares me that anyone finds it shocking when someone doesn't learn to drive and have daddy buy them a nice shiny car as soon as they're old enough. Wtf, seriously...

CharresBarkrey 15

50 - I learned how to drive completely on my own when I was 15. My school had drivers ed, and a program where you get behind the wheel experience and it counts as your driving test. All completely free. My parents didn't pay for or hand me anything, not everyone who gets things at a young age are handed them by their parents.

The OP is in England though. Schools in England (and the rest of the UK) generally do not offer driver's ed classes. Some schools do run certain schemes to promote driving, but in general this will mean taking them out of other classes (meaning that they miss school work). If you're learning to drive in the UK, you have to pay for it yourself. When you add the cost of lessons and paying for the test to insurance, high fuel prices and the cost of a car, plus the fact that some areas are affected by congestion charges (e.g. London) or zones designed to discourage people from driving (e.g. Edinburgh), it's not worth the headache and empty wallet to many people, until it's required for a job. There's simply not the same "car culture" that the USA has. Teenagers who DO drive get a tough time too - they're often labelled "boy racers", portrayed as young idiots in cheap cars doing stupid things on the road. Some of them are, true, but most are perfectly sensible drivers...who get hit with the massive cost of insurance because they're young. Many people choose to wait until they have an age and an income that make driving lessons less of a financial strain. I'm not clear on this point though - did the OP fail his test because of the phone calls, or was the FML just because of his bad luck - he was suspended and he wouldn't even have passed his test anyway? I assume it's the latter since the boss called several times.

56: I know. I wasn't saying everyone who can drive is rich; I was saying it's stupid that anyone can seriously be shocked when they hear someone hasn't learned.

56: Also, I don't think 'drivers ed' is even a thing in the UK. I've never heard of it, at least.

ideasrule 13

If you failed the test, presumably you picked up the phone while driving. In that case, YDI. There are enough distracted drivers on the road already; I don't want any more people almost slamming into me because they're talking or texting. If you didn't pick up the phone, then FYL.

KiddNYC1O 20

At my job we seal those "I work you, you work for me" deals on paper.

perdix 29

You failed your British driving test because you didn't employ the En-rah-hah Method.

olpally 32

This is a true fml. No silver linings to this. This sucks, big time.

One less driver to cause traffic jams?

perdix 29

#33, are you kidding? Think of how much the OP will save on gas (petrol), insurance, car maintenance and Pine Tree air freshener expenses. Plus, he can get girls to drive him around on dates! Given that, I regret not taking a dive on my own driving test.

olpally 32

perdix- I know you're being extremely sarcastic, but c'mon man! Lol really? I like the way you think though, very provocative! :D

your bad. Ydi. You should have picked better coworkers, a better boss, and a better license official. Geez.

diamondlife8 2

Oh my god almost had the same thing happened to me today