Property dispute

By Anonymous - 19/01/2014 22:59 - United States - Dallas

Today, I asked my girlfriend's dad for permission to take her hand in marriage. He said no, because he doesn't want her marrying a "sexist idiot who treats her like property", which he thinks asking permission amounts to, then told me to grow up. FML
I agree, your life sucks 54 812
You deserved it 11 954

Same thing different taste

Top comments

P_M95 8

If she truly loves you she shouldn't care what her parents think. As long as you are an honest nice guy.

hazardmuffin 21

Asking for his blessing would be respecting his view. Asking for permission makes it sound like his daughter's choice isn't really hers, which is where the "tradition" came from. Back when women really DIDN'T have that choice.

Comments

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway
Chellybelly92 14

You do realize that he's just getting his blessing for the engagement it's not like he's gonna ask and the dad decides weather or she weds him. He's still gonna ask her, but it's less of worry to have when the parents are ok with the idea marriage.

I was with you, until you said they should talk about it with her family if she lives at home. What if siblings decide they'd like her home until they go off to college? Or mum wants her home until she's 25? It's really none of their business, asking the family is just as bad as asking dad for permission. She's going to move out sometime, when is up to her. Well unless they kick her out, that's the other side. They don't need or get a say just because she happens to still live there.

VentiAnemoi 20

I hope you still ask her. All the best.

Never ask permission, ask for his blessing. Cause if he denies permission its not like you're not going to marry her.

The dad's right but he should be able to tell the difference between a nervous boyfriend with good intentions and someone who genuinely sees women as property. Sad.

Maybe he can and op has acted like a sexist pig in other ways? We can't know.

Someone who's that respectful to the family of his perhaps future bride probably isn't a huge sexist. Honestly sounds like OPs dad is just a moronic hippie who thinks anything traditional is bad.

'That respectful'? We really don't know much about OP, only that he asked the dad about the marriage...in a lot of cultures that's just seen as a standard thing, hardly an amazing act of kindness and respect. Obviously that is most people's intention but really, any asshole can go through the usual motions.

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway
StiffPvtParts 43

Asking the father for his daughter's hand in marriage is only a formality, and a sign of respect. But if you truly love each other, it really doesn't matter if he approves or not. I say go for it and ask her, OP :3

My dad's the same way and I've been clear on this with every relationship. He'll give his blessing but not his permission. If you're old enough to get married you don't need daddy's permission.