Property dispute

By Anonymous - 19/01/2014 22:59 - United States - Dallas

Today, I asked my girlfriend's dad for permission to take her hand in marriage. He said no, because he doesn't want her marrying a "sexist idiot who treats her like property", which he thinks asking permission amounts to, then told me to grow up. FML
I agree, your life sucks 54 813
You deserved it 11 955

Same thing different taste

Top comments

P_M95 8

If she truly loves you she shouldn't care what her parents think. As long as you are an honest nice guy.

hazardmuffin 21

Asking for his blessing would be respecting his view. Asking for permission makes it sound like his daughter's choice isn't really hers, which is where the "tradition" came from. Back when women really DIDN'T have that choice.

Comments

Did you sing "why you gotta be so rude, don't you know I'm human to, why you gotta be so rude, I'm gonna marry her anyway" :D

amberv61 22

No one sees women as cattle anymore. So that should changing the meaning of asking for permission. OP isn't offering a trade he wants to make sure the father approves. I'm not sure why everyone gets extremely offended by the word permission rather than blessing. I don't care how my SO asks my parents I just think it would be cool that they valued my parents opinion in anyway. FYL, OP if you had changed one word in your sentence no one would have gotten mad at you.

Oh some would still be getting mad I assure you. The fact that he said "permission" has just given them an easy excuse for it, but that's not the real issue here. Like you said the point of asking is just to show that you respect the parents and value their opinion, not because you wish to purchase their daughter. The problem is some of these so-called "progressives" are just trying to prove some point that they don't adhere to the old way of doing things, but stuff like this is downright ridiculous. Believing the old way where women were more or less treated like property was wrong is one thing, but that in no way means you have to think the parents should be completely disregarded when it comes to such things. Yes I believe at the end of the day it's the choice of the man and woman who are potentially getting married, but you can still show a level of respect for the parents. Yeah even if they say no you don't have to listen, but just asking to show that you do respect them and want their blessing is a good thing to do. But yeah, whether you say blessing or permission is irrelevant as far as I'm concerned. What truly matters is your intention, and I highly doubt the OP's intention was purchasing his girlfriend from her father.

CrazyGirlfriend 21

I would have less respect for someone who went behind my back and asked my father instead of just asking me. Some women are still treated like cattle. its plain as day everywhere if you really open your eyes. but this is one of those ignorant comments so whatever. the real way it should be done is that the one of the partner proposed (man or woman) and then they go to both of their parents together and say "we're getting married and we would like to have your blessing. meaning that we want to work out any issue you may have with any of us being together so the wedding can be happy for all of us and we can live in peace"

nkklllll 4

Who says the OP went behind her back? Maybe they had talked about getting married and both decided they wanted to but he hadn't proposed yet. When I asked my girlfriend's father for his blessing to date her, he said yes, but expressed concern about the relationship for various reasons. That's what this "tradition" is about. It's about respecting the parents and the role they have played in the lives of the daughter (or son). It also gives the father (or parents) an opporutnity to voice any concerns or requests (such as have a secure job, or a place to live lined up) before tying the knot.

I would always insist that a guy asks for my dad's blessing first as a sign of respect. Not permission, but blessing. I think it's cute, and a gentleman thing to do. It shows that you truly want to combine those two families. not just a wife, but a while new family as well. I love the tradition of that. But I guess Op, your girlfriends dad has different views. Good luck anyway.

CrazyGirlfriend 21

I think the way he said permisson instead of blessing is what made the difference. I think if he said blessing then this fml wouldnt be here lol

Stuff like getting mad for opening doors really pisses me off, because the whole basis of that is thinking that opening a door for a lady means you think they're incapable of doing it themselves. I highly doubt 99.9% of men who have ever opened doors for a lady do it because they actually believe said lady is physically incapable of performing the act on their own. The point of it is to do them a favor. It's the way a man can say "I respect you so I am doing this small favor for you." People who get mad about something like that really need to get over themselves. Again, doing someone a favor doesn't mean you think they're incapable of it. That would be like me thinking when I get home from work and my fiancee hands me a beer she took out of the fridge and popped open that she believes I am not capable of doing that myself. No she's just doing something nice for me, and I appreciate it. Opening doors and things of that nature are no different.

Major props for asking him in the first place OP!

Well if she's not his to give, no permission is needed. I would say that's a green light! W/e to him. Propose to her if you love her! Prove him wrong by having the best most happy life together possible!

You were being a gentleman for asking op . He should be honored that you thought enough of his wishes to ask, not be a dick about it. I had to ask my fiancee's father before i asked myself.

CrazyGirlfriend 21

hia father wasnt being a dick. just honest. every word is true. his daughter isnt his to give away.

On the bright side, he's in effect given his permission by saying that you shouldn't have asked his permission. It's her decision, so ask her!