Objectification

By cmck932012 - 26/06/2012 06:18 - United States - Tyrone

Today, at a job interview, my interviewer bent forward and I admired his ass. When he turned, I couldn't tell if he caught me or not. At the end of the interview he shook my hand in congratulations of getting the job, then said, "Yes, I do work out." I have to see him every day now. FML
I agree, your life sucks 11 527
You deserved it 32 664

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Obviously he had been checking you out as well..

Comments

Interesting double standard we have here. If this were a woman interviewing a man, everyone would be up in arms about sexism and saying that he should be reported for harassment. But because the male interviewer took the stare as the compliment it was intended to be, everyone is encouraging of OP's leer. Every time I think understand humanity, something like this comes along to remind me that the human mind just doesn't make sense.

TheDrifter 23

So true. If everyone could just take appreciative glances as the compliment they are the social rulebook would be so much easier to understand.

I quite agree if I woman ran up and grabbed a mans genital area no one would care but if a man so much as glances at a womans boobs when she is wearing a low cut shirt that's just asking for them to be looked at then it's a bad thing. WTH society

Bonzer 2

Women like to look good, but don't want people to notice. Thats the message they send.

abouttosleep 5

And if she said "yes, I workout" everyone would say she's a bitch. Wait wouldn't she be so?

36- Hmm, Doc, I have a feeling the interviewer's humourous response is only what made this acceptable. It isn't harassment if the attention is welcomed, is it? And in OP's case, she wasn't trying to get caught openly leering at the interviewer, she glanced with bad timing. Let's say the sexual roles were reverse, and Op was male, interviewer female, same situation, and after getting the job, the female interviewer replied with the same "Yes, I work out" comment: Would you say that's still harassment? All depends on how it's perceived by both parties, I would think. Now, in general, I don't think Op (regardless of gender) should be acting in any way unprofessional while at a job interview, and if She didn't get the job because the male interviewer felt uncomfortable, then yes, she totally deserved it. As it is right now, she still deserves to feel embarrassed, but the fact it turned into a joke for human nature, was a lucky break, nothing more. Would you say that standard is still uneven given the examples?

thatKidzmOm 10

If I had to take a guess at the underlying reason for this double standard, it would be that most women resent being treated as an object to be owned or ogled. But at the same time, take joy from being able to be on the other end and have the opportunity to "think like a man." not that this is how I feel...just a guess.

Let's face it though, women wouldn't wear low-cut tops or shorter skirts if they weren't fishing for, at the very least, looks.

Boob_fml 6

Sigmund Freud is quoted as saying through all his research in psychology he still did not know what women want.. perhaps we never will.

perdix 29

Doc, I've given up on trying to view humanity with Mr. Spock's rigid consistency, and have accepted double standards. I'll hold doors for women and if they want to loudly and vulgarly admire my ass, well, I'll just let them ;)

#53 You make a lot of sense. There's a big difference between.sneakily (or in this case, not so.sneakily!) looking at someone's ass when their back is turned and hoping they don't notice, and shamelessly staring at a woman's breasts while she's speaking to you. One is simply lecherous, the other is both lecherous and disrespectful.

^That last comment was actually intended for 57, but I guess it kind of makes sense for 53 as well.

If its a look or a few words I don't see why people get offended. Hell, I like the confidence booster occasionally myself. I won't lie.

The_F3rris 11

Well, not all men are courteous when admiring. A lot of them ruin it by being cocky pigs. No one wants to be seen as a piece of meat.

It's a double standard that sill heavily bothers me today. Misogyny is condemned to hell and back, yet misandry is practiced and shown on TV all the time by women under the guise of feminism, and they're praised for it. As a female, I can't stand misandry.

Completely agree. I was surprised that it was you who first commented on this disgrace doc :P Just because he was OK with it doesn't mean it was fine, and in no way at all does it mean she should keep doing it. All the people saying "keep staring" are idiots. And 170, I agree. It seems so ridiculous that one is frowned upon by everyone, but the other is a source of entertainment more than anything else.

Doc you can glance at me if you want :) I won't mind.

I agree with 30. Like really OP, YOU checked out HIS ass and now you make an FML about him being flirtacious (sp?)

Congrats on getting the job, OP. But at least he wasn't douche-y about it.

thatKidzmOm 10

Should be more like you GET to see him everyday ;-) I'm a bit jealous

BubbleGrunge 18

Wait, why is this an FML? Use this to your advantage OP! I smell a quick raise, and maybe some horizontal working out on your future!!!

Bonzer 2

These commrnts are why I have favorite commentors.

dudette123456789 0
Bonzer 2

At least*. And yes, yes it was.

pandaRanda 0

I think of you got hired after looking at his ass he is down for that (:

lexi0105 4

Now you'll have a nice view everyday;) that donk! Haha smile OP you got the job that's what matters the most! :)

Noelle282 8

I did that in the quagmire voice from family guy...sorry don't know how to spell his name