Not a laughing matter

By Anonymous - 26/02/2014 09:31 - United States - Las Vegas

Today, on Facebook, someone wrote a status implying that she was going to kill herself. I called a mutual friend, asking to check up on her. The next status the girl puts up said, "Someone thought I was going to commit suicide! Haha what a loser!" FML
I agree, your life sucks 54 220
You deserved it 4 954

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Authoress14 15

So you're still friends with her why?

Comments

Authoress14 15

So you're still friends with her why?

martialart1st18 19

I know right I hate it when people are stupid on Facebook. I just hit unfriend.

He isn't friends with the girl. He is friends with one of her friends.

suslord 10

#25 I never see the point to any of your comments.

I don't think they were friends to begin with lol

Cookies are always a valid point #53 no matter what the subject.

#2- Maybe smack her upside her head with an eraser. Yeah, that should get her attention.

29, when I first quickly glanced at your comment, I thought it said "smack her upside her head with a taser." Damn near squirt coffee outta my nose. Nicely done!

PattonGilette2 18

#29, hahaha! That's was a good one;)

Wow. I guess that's what you get for being a nice person these days.

Sly35_fml 4

She did the right thing. If someone told me about them wanting to commit suicide, joke or not, I'm going to inform someone. I would not be able to live with the fact that I could have saved someone if they actually committed suicide.

She should be grateful that someone cares enough to make sure she is okay. You did the right thing OP

hockeygoalie13 15

I agree 100% Better safe than sorry.

Yeah. Suicide isn't something to joke about. Props to OP.

Yeah, Op, don't eve hesitate to do what you did again, because not everyone is an immature jerk like that girl, and if the situation ever comes up again, you could end up saving someone's life.

As someone who suffers from depression I think people who people who pretend to want to kill themselves are losers. I would want a friend like you if it were me OP!

One time a friend I knew to have suicidal tendencies did the same thing, said something like, "you won't see me tomorrow, goodbye." on Facebook. I called 911 and they kept him in a hospital for weeks. Suicide isn't something to joke about, and people shouldn't be afraid to take action to keep someone safe.

Brianna_Ray 23

I had someone close to me commit suicide so it makes me really mad when people joke about doing it. It's a serious matter and shouldn't be taken lightly. You did the right thing OP.

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

Wouldn't the fact that she's prepubescent make it all the more serious? Last time it checked teen suicide was a big deal and shouldn't really be taken lightly.

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

I was used to straight-up tell people that I was thinking about killing myself, practically begging for help, but no one took me seriously. It doesn't help.

Why are you assuming she's prepubescent...? And even if she is young, that doesn't make it any less serious, like #9 said.

Rcmpbell 6

Suicide is something to take seriously always and that's just rude that you would say something like that

@19 Wow, I'm sorry, that's horrible. :( It's sucks that people (especially people who are supposed to care like your parents and friends) didn't take you seriously and get you help. Of course, people like the girl on Facebook in the fml don't help, it just makes others think that your just trying to get attention.

My boyfriend was clinically depressed from middle school up until his senior year of high school and his parents found out because he posted a dark/suicidal status on his email thing and a friend of his saw it and told his parents. If it wasn't for his friend, my boyfriend would have never gotten help for his depression and who knows what might have happened, so it was awesome that the OP reacted the way they did. If someone posts something like that it's most likely a cry for help.

It's been proven that people who are planning to commit suicide will often announce it before hand in the form of jokes, comments, etc. For this reason, you MUST take suicide threats seriously. Better safe than sorry.

First off, we don't know the age of the girl who wrote the status. Second, if someone does post this, you should take it seriously. This could have been a cry for help. Better to take it seriously, have someone check on the person expressing suicidal ideation, and have it be a false alarm than to not take it seriously and have the person do something to harm herself.

casual_commenter 9

Actually statistically speaking most suicides occur from people who have no documented mental health history. But what do I know? I'm only on a crisis intervention team where I work.

#5 actually there have been children as young as six thought to have committed suicide (a little girl hung herself after an argument with her mom but they aren't sure she did it realizing the consequences) as well as children as you as 12 who knowingly committed suicide. Young or not the OP did the right thing and that girl is a dick.

Nickb55 16

I speak for everyone when I say just how dumb that person is. You did the right thing. Thanks for taking action because not a lot of people would do that.

I hate girls posting stuff like that on Faecbook. And then you are actually nice and she acts like a dick. FYL OP :/

LoopyLuuLuu 7

yeah, all the attention ****** who put up stuff like that end up making it worse for the people who really are having problems.

Wow that's messed up. You should def post one of those old fashioned memes (I'm sure we've all seen one on fb) with the guy who has hand up that says "kill yourself" lol :D

No, your comment is messed up. Suicide is not funny, it is certainly not a joke. Almost a year ago, I lost my brother to suicide. That 'kill yourself' meme is incredibly offensive, suicide is not something that should ever be taken lightly.

If a person is willing to take their own life then so be it. Who is anyone to decide if they live or die? My opinion of course.

Your lack of empathy is disturbing, #78. If you truly care for someone who has suicidal thoughts, you'll do your best to help them get out of that horrible pit... Not just allow them to go even further.

RenoTheRhino 30

I become sad about #48's comment. Then I read her name.

78-- I am going to assume you meant well with that comment. I will assume that you meant it as a "they no longer have to struggle/ be in pain". I have severe clinical depression and every day I am here is literally a small victory for me. So I understand why people commit suicide. I am going to assume you are in the same boat and your words came out wrong, I will assume you are not a douche pond. (Wow, that is a lot of assumes, sorry)

let me explain. there are situations where I could give a damn if a person is "trying" to commit suicide. If you are diagnosed with a mental disorder then you have my sympathy. If you try to commit suicide like one of my good female friends did....4 times....then you need to get it right the 5th. its pathetic. Attention is all it boils down to in her situation.

113-If someone tries to commit suicide four times, it's obvious that person really needs help, and saying "they need to get it right the fifth" is an absolutely vile thing to say. I can't believe you have the nerve to call yourself a "friend" to that person,

Lil_Red777 21

#113 you're a truly awful person. That friend should drop you because it's "friends" like you that are part of the problem.