Nature is healing

By KeysToHappiness - 16/08/2015 12:39 - United States - Roseville

Today, I was kayaking with my family for my birthday when we tipped over while going down a rocky cascade. My husband badly cut up his arm, and my car keys and my phone both went for a swim and never returned. Great birthday. FML
I agree, your life sucks 22 461
You deserved it 8 668

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Probably not a wise decision to take your keys and phone with you. Sorry OP

tipping over is part of kayaking. did you guys have a guide or just rented some kayaks and winged it? it sucks that you lost your keys and phone but you really shouldnt have brought them along.

Comments

I'm sorry that happened.. but that's def a ydi IMO. why would you take either of the those with you knowing the possibilities, and why did you not have them secured?

Bringing car keys and cell phone into a kayak, brilliant.

At least your husband didn't swim away and never return!

Certainly YDI. I go kayaking once every few years but 5 years ago I invested the $20 in a small drybox for phone/keys/mini first-aid kit. It is a worthwhile investment or rental, especially if, like me, you have one of those stupid electronic keys that is useless if wet. Otherwise a carabiner for keys and a waterproof phone case in a zipped pocket would solve these problems. OP's lack of forethought is telling.

whiteman23 6

why did you take valuables kyaking without tying them down...especially your phone...that was not the smartest decision.

Rectov 10

Should have gotten one of those waterproof bags. YDI

joljenni 6

I have mixed feelings. Yes that sucks but it's a rookie mistake. Only a Dumas eould bring her car keys and phone into moving water not in a tethered, protective pouch.

corky1992 33

Sucks about your keys, but you're an idiot for bringing your phone when you should have known you'd most likely tip over at one point.

you should have gotten a waterproof bag that you could attach to your kayak and throw all of your valuables in. Costs like $20 and that's a lot cheaper than replacing anything that can get ruined by water. The forethought is not strong with this one. Although I guess they say hindsight is 20/20.