Misunderstood

By nothungry - 29/07/2009 00:47 - United States

Today, after four years of anorexia and lots of recovery, my parents took me out to dinner with my counselor and whole family to celebrate my progress. I ended up eating something that made me vomit everything I ate. My parents now think I am bulmic and are sending me back to counseling. FML
I agree, your life sucks 53 360
You deserved it 5 148

Same thing different taste

Top comments

OppositesAttract_fml 0

Oh wow. That really sucks. :( I'm sure they'll realize that they're wrong soon, even if they don't believe you when you tell them the truth. Congrats on the recovery, at least. :D

ah tell me about it,... everytime im not hungry for dinner i have to go back to counselling. such a pain in the ass

Comments

You ate something that made you throw up everything else? Sounds like you still have problems with food to me...

It seems pretty insensitive to celebrate your recovery from food issues by taking you to eat massive quantities of food. It would be like celebrating your recovery from frigidity by taking you to an orgy! Make sure you take your treatment from anorexia (and, I suspect, bulemia) seriously. Anorexia is the most deadly mental disease -- more deadly than depression and schizophrenia. And, besides, guys don't like really, really thin girls anyways! Take it from me.

Do you have source on that? Because I'm pretty sure the severity of the mental illnesses differ from person to person, there isn't really a way to tell which and which isn't the most 'deadliest' they're all very hazardous to a person's well-being in their own way.

letitbe56 0

Anorexia nervosa has the highest mortality rate of any psychiatric disorder. That is a fact.

Well that's not entirely true. Because the majority of anorectics dying from it is by suicide, not of underweight, which is due the fact that anorexia and depression often come togheter. Please don't mind my english, I tried my best to make it understandable, but I'm not sure if it's correct.

letitbe56 0

Even excluding suicide, the mortality rate for anorexia is still higher than it is for any other disorder.

Thank you, letitbe56, for speaking about my original claim with greater authority. My point is that anorexia is a very serious disorder and not some silly oddity among spoiled teenage girls. It's serious, so don't go around telling jokes like, "If Mama Cass had given the ham sandwich to Karen Carpenter, they both would have lived."

letitbe56 0

plexico- Agreed about the jokes and disparaging comments. Fortunately, there aren't too many here, and those who do make them are being shot down. I was also really worried that people would try to make pro-ana comments here, which would also be really harmful and inappropriate, but I don't see any (yet...) which is a relief.

I have a young daughter and live in constant fear that she might get an eating disorder. Fortunately, she is currently of a healthy weight and eats a good, reasonable diet. We are always vigilant. By the way, the only filter she has on her computer is that she cannot go to fmylife.com. Dad is making some funny that is not age-appropriate for her.

letitbe56 0

Good for you for being a responsible parent! If you're interested, there's a lot of research on how enmeshed family dynamics are a huge risk factor for the development of eating disorders. Basically, just having reasonable expectations for her in terms of achievement, allowing her to develop a sense of autonomy and self apart from the family, and being receptive to her expressions of emotion should go a long way towards giving her the kind of confidence she needs to be safe.

fucklifeee 0
M13LO 0

I had sex in a resturant yesturday

sleepreader 0

you ARE a **** (see response to M13LO in post about Bruno, if you think I'm just being rude)

I think I sat in the booth you used yesterday. You ruined the pants I was wearing with the pool of love juice you and your partner left. The good news is I cut out a square of fabric and sent it to the guy who made the wet-spot blanket for his girlfriend. I hope he can use it for his next project.

in response to plexico u r my idol!!!! (not n a creep way)lol

Congrats On The Recovery. (: Did They Not Consider That giving You A Full Sized Meal After 4 Years Of Anorexia Wasn't A Good Idea 'Coz Your Stomach Would Have Shrunk & Can't Handle Normal Amounts?

Congrats on recovring from anorexia like some said, you did very well. OP never said she vomited while in the restaurant, most likely she vomited back at home a few hours later. Problem is that when you recover from severe lack of food, getting "normal" amount of food right after can make you very very sick (so you know many jews from the nazi camps died just after getting free because of this). Babysteps then, until your organism is able to handle more and more food until you reach a normal meal for your size :)

i know!!! scary huh? i have read quite a bit on that type of stuff and even a tiny but of food would kill them because their bodies could not take it... or they couldnt stop drinking water and ended up basicly drowning themselves..

First of all, congratulations on beating your eating disorder. If you can do that, you can do anything! Try to see this from your parents' point of view. Relapses are very common with eating disorders. They worry about you and want you to be healthy. You're lucky to have parents who care about you so much. :) Good luck in all that you do, and always remember that you are surrounded by people who love and support you!

@ 23&24: What makes you guys think that this is her first meal? It's not like she woke up one day and went, "Oh, I'm better now. Think I'll hit the buffet." Her recovery was gradual... I'm sure she started out eating a little, then a little more. She ate something here that didn't agree with her; it has nothing to do with gorging herself after a four year fast. @ 15: It's the perfectly symbolic celebration, and not insensitive at all. They were rejoicing in the fact that she can eat now. It's something that, as a family, they could not have done for a few years. Eating together is a central bonding element of most cultures; they were welcoming her back.

letitbe56 0

After recovering from anorexia, it often takes years before your body can handle certain foods again. It's pretty unclear as to whether or not the OP just couldn't handle the food, or if she got food poisoning. Either way, it's probably linked to the eating disorder, as one of the things anorexia does is destroy your immune system. OP: Good for you for recovering! Recovery from anorexia can take people decades. You don't know how lucky you are that you've managed it.

mcsnelly 5

Actually, yeah i agree with 28...She's obviously spent a lot of time recovering which includes stepping up your food amount gradually. My cousin went through this and, long before she was even fully recovered (or as fully recovered as you can get), she had to eat more than most people eat regularly because she wasn't gaining weight fast enough. By the time she actually WAS pretty much over it, she had absolutely no problem when she wanted to eat a lot. It was probably just what she ate that made the OP sick, not how much. But congrats on recovering! I know how hard this was for my cousin (and all of us, too) so I hope everything works out for you!

Congratulations on recovering! It takes so much strength, effort, frustration and pain! You should have explained to them that the food just didn't agree with you, because your stomach is shrunken, and after recovering, it's hard to adjust to eating certain foods because your body is not used to it. >__