Call the cops

By Shelby1992 - 29/09/2022 02:30

Today, I dumped my boyfriend. He responded with kidnapping my dog while I was at work. He texted me a picture of him holding a piece of chocolate to his mouth, threatening to feed it to him if I didn’t get back with him. I took him back because I can’t bear my life without my dog. FML
I agree, your life sucks 1 489
You deserved it 340

Same thing different taste

Top comments

do you not have cops where your from? cause thats not just animal endangerment, thats a sign of a controlling narccissist who will hurt whomever and whatever they like to get to where they feel they deserve. seriously, call the cops!

Yeah, that is one we need to watch out for. People who abuse animals are more likely to harm people.

Comments

Yeah, that is one we need to watch out for. People who abuse animals are more likely to harm people.

do you not have cops where your from? cause thats not just animal endangerment, thats a sign of a controlling narccissist who will hurt whomever and whatever they like to get to where they feel they deserve. seriously, call the cops!

I am a little unclear on how ex got your dog while you were at work. OP, were you still living together when and after you dumped him? If so, you have a right to do that, but it’s not a smart way to do a breakup. Figure out where you are going to live, move and dump him at the same time. If on the other hand ex broke into your apartment to take your dog you have a case for bringing charges against him for breaking and entering and for threatening injury to your dog. And, I assume you have the threatening text or IM which you can show to the police. OP, in no case should you have agreed to go back to boyfriend over this. Now he knows exactly what to threaten you with to get his way once you gave in on this. While I love pets and wouldn’t want to see a pet hurt - In the long run you now know that boyfriend is a potential abuser and that is a threat to your own safety. It’s better to potentially lose a pet than to be controlled in this way.

While I mostly agree, I think ‘saying’ that she’ll get back with ex so as to get the pet out of harms way, meanwhile, reporting everything to the police, would probably be the best way to handle things. Unfortunately it looks like OP simply caved to the demand here, but hopefully she will realize that relationship-by-threat isn’t going to work and find a better, safer way to exit the relationship soon.

Get back with him until he falls asleep. Then you can cut his throat and take your dog and leave. Bada-bing, bada-boom.

I like your enthusiasm, but let's keep that in the back pocket for now.

I'd like to find a way to defend the relationship but I'm afraid this sort of crazy only escalates.

Nikki 16

Why do you want to defend the relationship?

Ummm, often seems a poster is willing to break up over shallow reasons, this seems like a legit only way to go situation. Being in a relationship with this person would be hell, and possibly dangerous. I've ignored obsessive and controlling behavior before, and almost paid the price with my life. What a monster! Talk to the police, and either get protection or stay with friends until you can feel safe alone. I guarantee this guy could easily hurt you even if he never has before.

Because relationship are challenging and we're only given the slightest skewed perspective as to what's actually going on. This one is just cartoonishly desperate. I wonder what's his endgame is you can't hold someone hostage in a relationship...

If you live in the US that is now counted as a federal offense. please get yourself and doggo to safety and call the police on him. if he wants to hurt an animal to manipulate you, he will hurt you.

thank you...Thats what i said...i feel like we need a follow up before it becomes a documentary...didnt think he did that or had it in him, until it did

also, they were sent a picture. as well as I would assume text with said picture.

What I would have done is 1. Kidnapped dog while at work. - report to police for dog kidnap, trespassing, and making sure to inform you just broke up 2. He texted picture with chocolate and dog. - make a second call to police, and now involve any of the animal lovers groups. Threatening the well being of an animal is against the law, blackmailing you is illegal. 3. I took him back - Wrong! - you should have asked police escort to pick up your dog, get a restraining order and made sure every bit is reported and recorded. You'd rather be abused than see your dog being threatened, but you have zero respect towards yourself and animal well being. Let's hope he becomes a better man, or you might feel threat to your life. May I recommend some therapy and selfworth classes. After taking him back to protect dog, you could easily temporarily re-home the dog and leave the boyfriend, ensure your safety and then get the dog back and live happily ever after.

Leave the dog somewhere safe, like with a friend or something. Call the goshdarn cops or the SPCA and show them the text. While they’re working that out, seek other housing arrangements and/or a restraining order. Animal abuse is a super common indicator that this person will grow up to abuse humans too, and this guy has already escalated to blackmail. What else does he need to do for you to leave?

Who will post your FML after the murder/suicide 20 years down the road. You should have called the cops.

My ex who kicked my dog also hurt my son (it was his stepdad). Run to safety. Change your locks, try to move and get a restraining order. Do NOT have kids with him.