Hit the gym

By Anonymous - 02/03/2013 03:17 - United States - Cedar Rapids

Today, after months of my doctor telling me that my heart palpitations are simply due to anxiety, and that I'm perfectly healthy, I decided to weight train to face my fears. Two hours later, I was in the emergency room. FML
I agree, your life sucks 31 530
You deserved it 3 249

Same thing different taste

Top comments

californiapoppy 11

You have to listen to your body, get a second opinion before you push yourself too hard next time

Comments

Now you get to take nitroglycerin pills! Swallowing plastic explosives is pretty badass. There's a positive in every situation.

I have discovered that most doctors are idiots. YOU know YOUR body better than someone else. Next time something like this happens see if you can demand tests or another opinion. FYL

Most doctors? I agree about knowing your body, but I have discovered that most patients are idiots, because they think they know more than their doctors. A google search can NOT replace years of school and training.

Yeah, that's flat-out false. I have seen a TON of doctors in my lifetime (chronic illnesses, etc), and only two have been idiots. My hematologist was an exceptional idiot (telling me I don't have an iron deficiency when I can read the blood tests, it says my iron is 5 ug/L when regular is between 20-300 - my GP even looked at that with a WTF, called him a moron, and put me on iron) and my rheumatologist is kind of a dunce. Took me off of a medication that was working with minimal side effects, gave me a new medication that made me vomit every night, gain 30lbs in three weeks, and lose all of my hair, and insist it was making things better (no - it was a drug they use for fibromyalgia. I have Lupus. Then he refused to put me back on the working drug when I stopped taking it. Needless to say, I have a new rheumatologist). Every other doctor I've had has been absolutely amazing (and there's a team of about 20 - surgeons, gynecologist, neurologist, allergist... Even most of the ER doctors I've seen were great (except the one moron who, when I told him I was waiting for a blood test, told me I was making shit up and to go home. Home is an hour's drive from the hospital. At home, message from ER doc: "Err, just realized you DO need a blood test, so you need to come back ASAP.") List goes on). It is important to know your own body and to research your own illnesses and medications so you can be informed, but a google search isn't the best way to get that done. Asking a pharmacist, or trying to find a medical textbook or legitimate scientific studies about your condition is good, but make sure you know that you're interpreting them correctly, too.

perdix 29

#14, no, I've worked with doctors. Very few of them are idiots. Many of them don't have much empathy -- they get it trained out of them.

I have seen a lot of doctors, and some are great and done are not. Not because they are bad drs, they just were but knowledgeable I'm what I needed help with. Dr's do not get enough credit. They need to know a lot about everything, and that is impossible. They all have their strong suits, and they all have their weak areas. I see two Dr's BC I love my GP, but she is young and doesn't have much experience with my hip and back problems. I agree, DocBastard, that Google and medical do not usually mix. Google can be a great place for research if you know what you are doing. Credible resources, multiple resources, both sides if the 'story', etc. And common sense. If it is very rare, severe, and serious, likelihood is that is not what is going on. The most simple common answer is more often the right one. Also, symptoms of one thing can also be symptoms of another. Google can be used to help find the right questions to ask your doctor, and to find more info, but should never be used to diagnose, treat, or replace your doctor.

That's scary because that's what I wanted to do. I used to work out but stopped since I had panic attacks and heart palpitations. The doctors all say my heart is fine, and I want to start working out again, but my heart always gets stressed out after I try.

What I would do is ask a cardiologist what you should be doing to work out (I am assuming you have one). This is what my mother had to do.

I have the same issue. build your heart's endurance by a steadily increasing cardio program first and then ease into weight training. Lifting weights keeps your heart rate and metabolism elevated for hours afterward, you see. Good luck.

xStaciexLynnx 15

I stopped running when I was diagnosed with a heart issue and my doctor told me that's the worst thing to do. Exercise keeps your heart healthy and strong. You have to keep working out, just easing back into it instead of jumping into something like weight lifting.

disGRUNTled123 2

Get off the computer and put your feet on the pavement.

alphatoomega 21

Are there records of him saying there was nothing wrong? I mean, I doubt you'd know, but if there are, you might be able to sue him for malpractice. I am not a lawyer, though, so I could be wrong.

Cardio, even with anxiety issues. Slow and steady, build endurance. Add 10 minutes to your cardio each week and see the difference it makes.

xStaciexLynnx 15

Start off slow, buddy. Nobody can just transform in a week or two.

Looks like your Doctor got his degree out of a cereal box

Did he at least give you a stress test and ECG to determine that? When you begin to weight train, it's important to pay close attention to your body and make sure you don't get too winded. You might have just over done it.

TheDrifter 23

It sounds like OP was afraid of the gym, by the "confronting my fears" comment, so it's entirely possible the Doc is 100% correct and the issue is anxiety. Panic attacks while your hearty rate is already elevated tend to send people to the hospital.