Harsh

By notonasoccertam - 06/09/2020 10:09 - United States

Today, I made my school's soccer team. I told the coach that since I have diabetes, I might need to sit out occasionally. He promptly erased my name and said he didn't accept "slackers." FML
I agree, your life sucks 1 531
You deserved it 209

Same thing different taste

Top comments

You should have waited until it was all official before telling them you had diabetes or may need down time. more and more people are getting more and more stupid, they think the occasional need to handle things like sugar levels to not die is laziness. my mother has diabetes, and sometimes the body just nopes sometimes, just remember for next time though... always lie to managers, coaches, and anyone of authority until the truth cant totally screw you.

it means that there will be times OP could have a spike in blood sugar up or down, which can cause dizziness, fatigue, and even temporary blindness if bad enough. generally they would need to sit for a few minutes and drink water, Gatorade, eat a candy bar, use insulin etc to rebalance. if kept under control would be less than 10 minutes to fix.

Comments

Why would blurt that out? Honesty is not the best policy. Keep your disease to yourself, and if your diabetes causes a problem, fake an injury, slacker.

Mathalamus 24

Diabetes doesn’t mean you are unable to play... it really is a slacker thing.

it means that there will be times OP could have a spike in blood sugar up or down, which can cause dizziness, fatigue, and even temporary blindness if bad enough. generally they would need to sit for a few minutes and drink water, Gatorade, eat a candy bar, use insulin etc to rebalance. if kept under control would be less than 10 minutes to fix.

Mathalamus 24

Generally a diabetic person would never have these issues with even the most basic planning.

Shit happens man, especially for younger or newly-diagnosed people. Planning is well and good but not everyone can really can't have their body 100% under control all the time.

You should have waited until it was all official before telling them you had diabetes or may need down time. more and more people are getting more and more stupid, they think the occasional need to handle things like sugar levels to not die is laziness. my mother has diabetes, and sometimes the body just nopes sometimes, just remember for next time though... always lie to managers, coaches, and anyone of authority until the truth cant totally screw you.

If you have to sit out all the time due to your diabetes then don’t play sports especially soccer. Soccer isn’t an easy sport, you have to give 100% all the time. I was an athlete most of my life and had sports induced asthma, it kicked my ass but I didn’t tell all my coaches, sorry I have to sit out a lot bc of my asthma. I get you like soccer a lot but you can’t do this, sorry OP! :(

Sorry but it probably sounded to him like you weren't really capable of playing hard. i think you sabotaged yourself.

My 3 year old granddaughter has Type 1 Diabetes. If you have the same energy as her, the coach should be glad to have you on the team. Stay strong.

grimes72 1

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway
lizzyo17 22

You know that type 1 diabetes has nothing to do with what you eat, right?

You realize someone who got diabetes due to their eating habits probably wouldn’t make a soccer team, right?

rotflqtms_ 21

Damn, when I was on sports teams, I learned really fast that doctors only knew what I told them. I hid so many injuries and problems from them because I wanted to make the team and didn't want them to hold me from making it. I'd temporarily go blind and sometimes dizzy but never told anyone. I'm lucky i didn't pass out during a game or anything and never even got it diagnosed to find out what it was. sometimes I'd get this really bad chest pain (not heart) and if i took a deep breath it would hurt so badly I'd have to fall to my knees and hold my breath until i couldn't take it any more. I'm lucky nothing bad really was wrong, but I don't think it's really good to hide illnesses to make a team. I may have turned out alive, but the amount of scary crap that happened that I hid as a kid are really bad. Any parent would be worried about their kid who hid that stuff. I'd be worried too.

Madison Gliosci 16

Isn’t that discrimination against your disability? Is that okay per your school administration?