F*ck the patriarchy

By Anonymous - 20/12/2020 19:58

Today, I watched as my girlfriend painfully plucked her eyebrows for half an hour. She is willing to do this, but not shave her armpits on a regular basis. FML
I agree, your life sucks 602
You deserved it 1 080

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Ambrily 27
mickymoose1 15

Whether she shaves her armpits or not is up to her. If it bothers you so much, might I suggest you keep your opinion to yourself? If you truely care for her you wouldn't care if she shaves them everyday or once a year. Cut this toxic behaviour out and grow up.

Comments

It is up to her! She can do what she wants with her body. Live with it :)

She doesn't have to shave but it's more hygenical.

It makes little difference to hygiene if you wash regularly anyway. If it was a hygiene issue, men would be expected to shave their underarms too and would probably be expected to do so even more than women, since they tend to sweat more than women do. Shaved legs and underarms on women are an expectation born of razor companies' desires to make money from all genders, not just those with beards.

No, its not. Washing the armpits is enough. Lots of men dont shave their armpits and dont have to face judgmental comments about it.

Get a hint... she's not doing either thing for you or any man. She does it for herself.

alex_jaguara: That is a myth. So long as one washes regularly it's not any less hygienic than shaving. Do you really prefer shaved but unwashed?

Shaving is actually bad for hygiene: more chance of infection, and armpit hairs are supposed to absorb sweat so you don't smell.

If it’s more hygienic, then why don’t guys shave too?

Ambrily 27
mickymoose1 15

Whether she shaves her armpits or not is up to her. If it bothers you so much, might I suggest you keep your opinion to yourself? If you truely care for her you wouldn't care if she shaves them everyday or once a year. Cut this toxic behaviour out and grow up.

1.She doesn't owe anyone smooth armpits, it's her body and her choice 2. Eyebrows are way more visible than armpits, especially in winter, so I can see why she'd prioritise them if she wanted to make an effort with any kind of body hair, and while plucking is painful it's also the most effective method 3. Eyebrow shape is an important part of presentation and self-expression for many people. Underarm hair levels are not. Many men also pluck their eyebrows, particularly those who are prone to monobrow/unibrow, but far fewer remove their underarm hair. Let the poor girl live how she wants to live!

Honestly, underarm hair is just as hygienic, maybe even more so than shaving it. As long as she is showering every day, it stays clean. When underarm hair is shaved, there are higher risks for cuts, infections, ingrown hairs, abscesses, etc. I'm sure that if you were helping her drain a smelly, infected abscess from a small cut from her razor, that's easier than seeing her with underarm hair? Do you also have problems with her leg hair? Arm hair? Upper lip hair? Intimate place hair? Toe/foot hair? Finger/hand hair? No? Or is the real reason because your thoughts of underarm hair is only a "guy thing", and don't want a masculine girlfriend? Maybe there are a lot of things you need to rethink if underarm hair is so gross to you, OP.

rotflqtms_ 21

Her body, her choice. If you don't like it, you can hit the road.

It's not about you. Get over yourself and be glad you have a girlfriend. What have you done to make yourself look attractive to her?

Dump her. She has no respect for you. Of course, you'll have to conform to her grooming preferences for you.

All of this support for women not having to shave is so great. If I wear pants that are any shorter than touching the ground, my mom makes comments about how my legs are “disgusting” and “look like boy’s legs” because I don’t shave. But I’m agender, and shaving makes me feel dysphoric.

well if you dont like the choice then move on...but in all honesty it doesnt seem like a big enough problem to even be a fml