Control

By Username - 23/03/2011 16:38 - United States

Today, my future mother-in-law informed me that since she is putting money into our wedding, that all the planning and arrangements are under her authority. FML
I agree, your life sucks 41 309
You deserved it 6 891

Same thing different taste

Top comments

stand up to the bicth now unless u wanna hear her shit 4 the rest of ur life

Have a smaller wedding and tell her that you can't accept her help if it's conditional. This isn't the way to start a marriage, with her asserting her authority over your decisions.

Comments

So you let her black mail you, stand up be a man and if you can't do that then don't let her pay for any of it or else it will never change.

gothicwriter 0

i fear my mother in law will do the same...good luck

Ditto. I would like her to pay for it but I know she'll be all commandeering and too traditional. I'm not religious and I have zero intention on having a religious wedding, period, not even for their sake (Oh how nice for someone to LIE in the face of your god, right? That's ridiculous). We already had a mini-conversation about the honeymoon too, I was looking through a magazine and wistfully said I wanted to go to the Maldives, not looking for any input from her on the subject whatsoever and she said it's too expensive and I can go to Disney Land instead. LOL.

Tell her no and stick with it no matter what, or run like hell. Your husband-to-be has to put his foot down too, if not, run like hell. Seriously.

kinga08 0

Oh boy, this is just the beginning. She seems like one of those people that do you a favor and have a habit of throwing it in your face for the rest of your life. Either stand up to her, or wait until you can pay for your wedding on your own. This is funny actually, because I was discussing the cost of weddings with my married co-worker today. Weddings are pretty expensive, even if you don't do anything extremely lavish. Good luck OP, hopefully it won't ruin your special day.

Blondiebee88 0

You don't seem to have a problem taking her money, you don't like her ideas get a loan. If your old enough to get married your old enough to grow up and act like it.

johnnybagodonuts 2

kill her, that's the only logical solution

Been there. Done that. My now ex mother in law did the same thing.

ok, no problem. all you do is smile and say " thanks so much but we won't be needing your contribution after all, and thanks so much for wanting to help but I think I have it covered." it's your ******* wedding, grow a friggen set if your fiance won't.

sucks for you, like a lot. Sneak around and see what shes up to and try to change what you can is all i can tell you :)

very true. my in laws and I STILL don't get along after FIVE years of marriage...and I refused their monetary help for the wedding. there are times that due to their never ending involvement in our lives, I feel like ending the relationship. but the love I have for my husband keeps me here (for now). good luck, you're going to need it!

I feel you. I'm not even engaged and I already had to have "the talk" with my boyfriend about his mother. I asked him how he would feel if the reason why we broke up is because of his mom... because she is just so rude and passive aggressive. I know it was not very nice of me to put it that way but it finally got the point across because he told his mom to back off me. This conversation seems to happen about once a year when she forgets.

OMFG... this keeps replying to 181 when I'm trying to reply to 180, but the numbers keep changing. I'm trying to @#$%ing reply to kweenbitch.