#Childfree

By ChildFree - 20/04/2015 23:55 - Saudi Arabia - Riyadh

Today, my mother-in-law asked me when my fiancé and I were going to start having children. When I told her we weren't planning on having any, she went on a tirade about how selfish and cold I am for denying her precious grandchildren. Now she hates me. FML
I agree, your life sucks 31 881
You deserved it 4 602

Same thing different taste

Top comments

You should do whatever seems best for you. I never understood why people pressure others to have kids.

Mother-in-laws are always a pain. Do what you want and dont listen to her

Comments

To have or not to have kids is one of the most personal and important decisions people get to make in life. I will never understand why people like your MIL feel the need to pressure others in this process

Your mother-in-law can suck a nut. You weren't put on this earth to cater to her.

saffy66 34

Kudos to you for your honesty, but what a shame your fiancé wasn't there too. I'd probably have let him break the news to her. You might change your mind, you might not, but it's nobody else's business. She doesn't understand now but maybe if her son explains it to her, she might get how her hatred of you is unreasonable.

Why do folks continually refer to this situation as being selfish? Selfish to who? Jealousy masking as selfishness?

Seriously, do they not realize that they are the ones being selfish? No one should have children just because other people want them to.

Once I had a friend tell me I wasn't "a real woman" if I didn't have kids. Yeah I understand the pain OP. There is no need to contribute to the population problem just because everyone else is doing it.

She should sit down and think for a minute in how selfish she's being by not respecting your and her son's life decisions!

Why on earth would you tell her that? Lie through your teeth OP ! A nice smile + a "little" lie = Happy Family !!

If they lie, they'll never hear the end of it though. Family functions will be a never-ending torrent of "are you pregnant yet"s and "so when do I get my grandbaby?"s. Eventually, they'll have to fess up. It's way better to just be up-front about it now. Mommy dearest will be upset for a bit, but she'll get over herself eventually.

Or the mother in law could just respect their decision not to have children. Lying isn't going to do anything constructive.

Oh and later on, when the children are not coming, you're just having "difficulties", you could even tell her the doctor said you needed rest, good food etc? she might cook and take care of you ;) Ok not very honest, but mother-in-laws are a special breed that needs some cunning..

There's a sub called childfree over on reddit, you'd be more than welcome OP. It's your body/your life/your decision, don't let anyone bingo you to make you change your mind.

Do what you wanna do it's not her decision. If you don't wanna have kids so be it.