Check that expiration date man, it's later than you think

By dk_2k16 - 12/04/2016 20:29 - United States - Hattiesburg

Today, I went to take my permit test. I had been studying for months and was familiar with the whole book. When I sat down to take my test, I didn't recognize any of the questions. I went home and found out the book I used to study was the book my mom used to take her test in 1970. FML
I agree, your life sucks 15 564
You deserved it 18 833

Same thing different taste

Top comments

That seems like a pretty obvious thing to notice when studying, if nothing else a 40+ year old book would not look modern even in the slightest. Your own fault OP sorry to say.

AdamTodddBrown 11

And you still passed because it's all common sense BS that any idiot can do, right? Maybe not given that you couldn't tell a book from the 70's from one today....

Comments

wow, sorry to hear about your luck. maybe your mom giving you the book was a honest mistake?

Wow that sucks, but next time check the date on the book

That seems like a pretty obvious thing to notice when studying, if nothing else a 40+ year old book would not look modern even in the slightest. Your own fault OP sorry to say.

Mathalamus 24

Parts of it should still be useful. I doubt driving changed that much over forty years.

Back in my day, we used to have to drive uphill to school, both ways.

In five feet of snow, without snow tires.

They pass dozens and dozens of new driving laws every single year. So yeah, it's changed a lot.

You didn't notice that the cover might have been old fashioned or that the papers might have felt and even smelled old?

Plus all the photos would be of cars from the 60's and 70's

Who takes months to study for their permit?

Some people are slower learners than others. And OP might not have spent ALL their free times during those months to study

In Oregon there were questions about how you should drive around tractors and farming equipment (how fast, when, how much you could be fined)

turdwrangler 18

47- I'm from Oregon and I remember a question about driving when a horse and rider is on the road, and what to do if the horse starts looking nervous.

It is definitely not all common sense. I'm one of the studiers. Alaska's test is really weird honestly.

That's what I'm saying. I had to take it again recently because my permit was expired and I just went in and passed it without even reviewing anything lol

Someone who can't tell a book is 40 years old

I studied the night before by taking like 3 practice test I did all within an hour and I got a 100% on it. It really is common sense

AdamTodddBrown 11

And you still passed because it's all common sense BS that any idiot can do, right? Maybe not given that you couldn't tell a book from the 70's from one today....

That's what I was hoping to. I didn't even study for 1 minute of my permit test and I still passed, no problem at all. It is ALL common sense.

cprad11 12

No, the test isn't all common sense. At least on the test I took, there were several questions regarding insurance and exactly how reaction time affects distance travelled. It has a bit more rigor that you think. You shouldn't generalize that any idiot can pass, especially when OP failed.

Test I took 11 months ago was all common sense except for the road signs, that is probably the thing you would only need to study for. At least in Illinois.

I just took my permit test a few weeks ago and if you can't pass the test you shouldn't be driving ever. It is the easiest test I have ever taken.

The California one is 80% common sense but there are a lot of specific questions on it as well, such as how many days must you report an accident to the DMV, what's the exact fine for driving without a license, etc. It probably varies from state to state

COSaikou 7

damn bro, you're mean. kudos.

Most people fail Alaska's test if you dont study because they are REALLY specific.

Damn your family must have great bookkeeping skills if you can still mistake their book from 1970s with a modern one.

Unfortunately, while much of the general tips in there are probably still useful while actually driving, the permit test is basically just reciting stopping distances and the like. If you google "Mississippi driving manual" there are places that let you access a free pdf of the most current one. All in all, it could have been worse. There are also practice tests online that can give you a pretty good sense of how you're doing. You don't need to obsess over the book. When I took my permit test (this was ~3 years ago. I took it at 17 so I didn't have to do 6 hours of driving with an instructor and I had actually failed the permit test my high school gave us by one question), I mostly just looked my state's manual over a little bit for a week and then read through the whole thing as my dad was driving me to the MVC. That was enough to very nearly ace it (50 questions, when you correctly answer 40, it ends the test since that's a pass. It passed me at question 42). Stressing and obsessing over studying won't help.

How can you not see the difference between a modern book and a one that'd 40 year old?