Awkward small talk

By mybad - 25/08/2009 13:21 - United States

Today, a customer brought her kids into the store where I work. I like to make people laugh, so being my usual joking self I kidded, "Why aren't those kids in school?" She didn't laugh when she said that their house burned down the night before and the kids had no clothes to wear to school. FML
I agree, your life sucks 48 213
You deserved it 13 276

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Looking at a six year old and going, "Wait, I thought college started today!" is funny. Asking, "Shouldn't they be in school?" is going to come across as nosy and/or passive-aggressive (or passive-snarky), even if you do it with a smile. YD a retort for your poor judgement, though FYL for the coincidence of the fire. @6: Their house burnt down the night before, they're going to be a little traumatized. I think they deserve the day off.

Comments

They had clothes to go shopping didn't they?

Maybe they went to shoppong with no clothes

Cat135 0

or maybe the clothes went shopping with no people! xD

TrentHawkins 0

Fair play to you for trying to be human enough to try and make people laugh in an ever-increasing society of people who just don't care enough anymore...

Heyheyy, @#70 ... maaaybe they have ... UNIFORMS! :O

I bet the fire was her fault. Stupid bitch...

joemama13 0

YDI for thinking that passing judgment on others is funny, especially when you do it at your retail job. Seriously? Who are you to judge others? Get a life.

You idiot, its part of his job to be funny. OP: FYL. You have probably made lots of jokes about kids before. How the **** are you supposed to know that their house burned down? It isn't something that happens all the time...

four YOUR life? **** their lives man... ydi for posting this crap here

Dude, in what ever tone you said that, its not at all funny. Try rethinking your jokes, and just shut up next time customers come, you might learn something.

Mozart24 0

Yes, study/watch/read some REAL comedy - get a decent idea... This was a huge fail as far as comedy goes...