Awkward small talk

By mybad - 25/08/2009 13:21 - United States

Today, a customer brought her kids into the store where I work. I like to make people laugh, so being my usual joking self I kidded, "Why aren't those kids in school?" She didn't laugh when she said that their house burned down the night before and the kids had no clothes to wear to school. FML
I agree, your life sucks 48 213
You deserved it 13 276

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Looking at a six year old and going, "Wait, I thought college started today!" is funny. Asking, "Shouldn't they be in school?" is going to come across as nosy and/or passive-aggressive (or passive-snarky), even if you do it with a smile. YD a retort for your poor judgement, though FYL for the coincidence of the fire. @6: Their house burnt down the night before, they're going to be a little traumatized. I think they deserve the day off.

Comments

vdubz 0

Ummmm so they can't go to school because they don't have clothes, but they can go to a store naked?

'Why arent those kids in school?' Oh your a funny one you are.

A few words of advice: 1. You never know someone's situation so always be mindful that people may be suffering or completely happy 2. That "why aren't those kids in school" is patronizing and mean to kids. Plus its old and overused. It also is not very funny at all. When I was 7, I always clenched my fist when someone said "Why aren't you at school" when I was sick and going to the store for medicine or it was a holiday.

definitely need a "noone cares" button.

Jeez.. you couldn't have known. Atleast it wasn't your house that burned down.

You don't hear that everyday, then again, I heard that every 45 seconds a house burns down in the U.S. lol

Okay, firstly, why did you think that would be funny? And secondly, it was your fault for being an unfunny asshole.

mama2b3 20

First of all OP asking that question is just annoying not funny, you should assume they have a reason and mind your own business. Second, to all the people saying 'what were they wearing? were they naked?' Really? You think the children were naked in the store? wow. They were probably in pajamas or wearing the clothes they had already worn to school the previous day. Besides, after something like that they probably deserve a day off.