Welcome to adulthood

By Jane - 22/12/2012 23:29 - Canada - Niagara Falls

Today, I confronted my 18-year-old daughter about her excessively lengthy showers. She said she didn't see the big deal, considering the water "comes free with the house." No dear, it doesn't. FML
I agree, your life sucks 40 933
You deserved it 6 161

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Redox127 7

Let her pay a bill and then see how she feels about her shower length.

StalkerChick 13

Just do what my mom used to do, bang on the door and yell until she gets out. Or invest in a shower timer.

Comments

It's crazy that an 18 year old is considered an adult, considering the proportion of 18 year olds that are 100% clueless about the world. Give her two years, maybe three. If she hasn't started to figure it out by then, it's perfectly acceptable to give up hope.

Or teach her a bit about the world? She is your daughter after all...

Right_in_Two 5

Actually 18 year olds are considered adults when it comes to law. But in reality you are not considered an adult until you reach 21 years of age, hence the psychological theory of development.

Actually, there is no specific age at which you become an "adult". It depends on the person. Some people never grow up despite their age.

Laurenlou 24

I don't see how anyone can claim a certain age for adulthood. I get mistaken for being 19 a great deal of the time, and I am only 16. Even my good friends forget that I am technically not "their age." I was always like this for as long as I can remember. I was at least two years a head of my classmates intellectually and socially. Then their are those people who are 30 and still act like a freshmen in high school. (My uncle being one of them.) So thank you, 46, there is no set age for adulthood.

77/ When my grandpa turned 70, my uncle (who was 73 then) bought a boob cake. Yes, just like you imagine.

irishpassion16 6

Your uncle is older than your grandpa?

77. Every teenager thinks they have reason to believe they're more mature than they are. Most also think they are smarter and more world worthy. You will look back on this comment in five years and cringe.

Right_in_Two 5

Seems like people dislike psychology. xD

117: There are plenty of good reasons to do so. My favorite is that psychology pathologizes normal behavior on an arbitrary basis. If you really want to understand people, you should study sociology.

Right_in_Two 5

132: Arbitrary is choosing or guessing something randomly or with personal whim without sense. I believe you do not understand how psychology works.

redmnky21 8

that's your doing mom... way to go not teaching your daughter basic info

Caitlin72 5

I agree to some point. However, I never recall my mom actually sitting me down and explaining the concept of water bills. It's usually picked up during conversations, and inferring from them.

I'm with 50, and to add I also learned it in school when they tell you "ways to save electricity". I can't imagine people having not taken lectures on that considering the green revolution that's been occurring for years.

Throw electricity and internet into the bargain and I'm moooving!! Where do you get houses like that? **cough**

In reality, Ontario is probably the most expensive province to live in.

25 - No wonder when "the water comes with the house". :D

It sucks that she's that stupid, but I don't see why shouldn't be allowed to shower however long she wants.

Geometric 18

Because it can end up costing a shitload of money, thought that was obvious.

Vash_41288 10

Guess she is not the only stupid one eh 17.

Well, obviously I know that part, but at my house we have 4 bathrooms and 7 people living in it and our water bill doesn't come that expensive at all.

Looks like somebody is going to be living in mommy's basement until she's 37.

No, mommy is going to kick her out for her long- ass showers. Mommy's money is going down the drain.

Well growing, for her the house and water was free. But I kinda blame the parents for this kinda ignorance

ideasrule 13

Your daughter is an idiot, but many of the people here are no less stupid. Water is indeed virtually free in Canada, with the average price being 31 cents per ton. A shower head uses about 9 liters a minute, so even an hour-long shower costs less than 2 dimes. I bet she could easy pick up enough dropped coins from the street to cover all her shower costs. The real problem with long showers is environmental, not financial--we all have the responsibility to conserve Earth's resources, even if the amount we use individually has a negligible effect on the environment.

the water is free here in bc! hahaha suckers.

Long live the free water communities! Same here in Venezuela!

stewpididiot 11
conholio33 28

Give her a time limit for showers amd if she goes past that time limit make the shower water go ice cold.... It works... Well it did for me

Why don't you just make her pay a certain amount of the water bill? I make my daughter pay for a third of the water bill and the entirety of her phone bill and she VERY quickly learned not to waste water or have unnecessarily long phone calls. Seriously, OP, your daughter is 18 years years old! Start making her pay her way to "prepare" her for living on her own, and she'll quickly learn not to be so careless with money.

ideasrule 13

It's about 8 cents per shower. Sure, make her pay for it. She'll probably take even longer showers once she realizes how inexpensive it is.

88. You commented with this exact same comment before. Are you genuinely not realising that it's a pointless and boring statement? 8c a shower is still more than 'free'.