The pits

By Anonymous - 14/01/2024 08:00 - United States

Today, my mom revoked my shower privileges for a week, all because I'm “using too much water.” I'm the kind of person who will smell like garbage after one skipped shower. FML
I agree, your life sucks 601
You deserved it 105

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Just go take a shower and tell your mother denying you access is a human rights violation and is illegal pretty much everywhere in the world. If you live someplace with child protective services it might be time to give them a call.

The joke's on her if you have to be around her while you wait for the shower to be available. If you are correct, she'll change her mind right quick.

Comments

Just go take a shower and tell your mother denying you access is a human rights violation and is illegal pretty much everywhere in the world. If you live someplace with child protective services it might be time to give them a call.

The joke's on her if you have to be around her while you wait for the shower to be available. If you are correct, she'll change her mind right quick.

I second the suggestion of just subjecting your idiot 'mother' to the smell. Lots of hugs, synthetic materials and jogging on the spot. If she's shorter than you, bonus points for how close to your armpit you can get her face while giving 'loving and apologetic' hugs. Bet her tune changes by hug no. 3... If you are still at school then complaining to the guidance councillor should get her an embarrassing meeting with the school about child abuse. Good luck and have fun.

It doesn’t take an hour of standing in the shower to get clean.

TomeDr 24

You don’t need to shower to get clean. It’s called a bath.

Denial of basic hygiene is legitimately a human rights violation - Like, the UN has a whole series of statements and policies about that. Though, I suspect the kind of person who would ban someone from showering for a whole week when there is water available doesn't much care about that. I suspect your household is not literally scrounging by for every last drop of water - But even if that dire situation were the case, it's easier to maintain cleanliness than allow it to build up for a whole week, requiring a deeper effort to properly clean, and thus, lots of water. If water use was legitimately a concern, a whole week is still utterly unreasonable - Restricting it to "x minutes per day", or a shower every other day or something like that would be a far more practical solution. So, yeah, it's about the power trip, not the practicality. If you're still a minor child, or a dependent adult with disabilities or something of that nature, report this to someone you trust. If you're an independent adult stuck living at home - You're technically a tenant of your mom (or sub-letter, or what have you, depending on if your family is in a rental or a property they own) - Regardless of if you have a formal rental arrangement or not (unless you have an ownership stake in your residence - Which should mean she has no right to deny you water in a home you own/partly own - I get that the theoretical nature of that isn't always the most straightforward to act on, though) In any case, you have the right to use water in your home for hygiene purposes. Try offering the less extreme restrictions as an alternative, but keep that knowledge in your back pocket if you need to go nuclear, and either way, make preparations to move out as soon as you can.