Unsure

By Anonymous - 29/11/2015 06:04 - United States

Today, my boyfriend emotionally proposed over dinner, and I said yes. Soon after he left, he tweeted, "I just fucked up...." and a few minutes later called me and claimed the proposal was a prank. FML
I agree, your life sucks 28 584
You deserved it 1 892

Same thing different taste

Top comments

He obviously thinks your relationship is joke, so you either need to talk or leave.

Honestly I would dump him because that's ridiculously immature. Marriage is a lifelong commitment and very emotional and for him to not only make it into a prank but to publicly post on social media is ridiculous.

Comments

That is really messed up that he would pretend it's a joke and tweet about it. Maybe try and talk about it or leave if he sees nothing wrong with this.

break up with him, tell him is not a prank

this is one of those "what the actual ****?" moments.

I wouldn't be surprised if what really happened is that sometime after he left, he realised just how huge a step marriage would be and got cold feet. Then in a panic, the only way he saw out of it was to claim the whole thing was a prank. Just a shame that if that was the case, he couldn't just be honest and say so.

I would hope people at the stage of a relationship where marriage is even considered should be able to talk about stuff like this. Even if a preemptive proposal happened. Saying it was just a prank is just idiotic and hurtful.

Thing is that people don't think straight when they panic, so stupid stuff can happen. I hope things work out, but I would say be a bit cautious around the guy for a bit and have a nice long chat about relationship goals and how you feel about each other.

Your relationship can't be all that serious to him if he's capable of pulling such an immature prank. I'd consider seriously if this is what you truly want. I'm not saying dump him, but think about your relationship as a whole and decide if this is a good fit for you. Good luck OP.

I don't understand everybody is so eager to advice "leave him, dump him".. he obviously was immature/childish but my guess is he freaked out and got cold feet. Give him some time to calm down. They obviously need to have a serious talk. The fact that OP said yes to him means they were serious and hopefully this is one of those moments they'll look back in 10 years and laugh about. Good luck OP and I'm sorry that you have to go through this.

SystemofaBlink41 27

Yeah, thought the same thing. The dude's an idiot, for sure, but geez... Marriage is a pretty big social baggage nowadays that's pretty pressured into us.

VoodooPriestess 16

Think of it like this: He tweeted it first. Then called. Then said it was a prank. Dude should have gone over there and talked it out without the twitter post. My mom once dumped a boyfriend for sending his mother over to break the engagement. Getting cold feet is fine, being completely uncommunicative about it does not a good relationship make. Just saying. Or on the other hand, maybe it was a real prank and the douche wasn't expecting a yes, so he got far, far away and called.

I think he was expecting you to say no so you would look like the bad one and he could break up easily. but you said yes hence the "****** up" part.