By kggggg - 12/08/2010 11:00 - United States

Today, while at my friend's house, I noticed her brother had a bit of an accent. I laughingly said "Is it me or does your little brother have an accent?" She stared and replied with "No, he has autism." FML
I agree, your life sucks 16 784
You deserved it 47 383

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Quest_ 13

Alright, op, let me be the sympathetic one: if an "accent" is all you noticed, chances are that her brother is a high-functioning autistic. Autism varies from person to person. My step-mother works in SPED and gets a lot of autistic students in her classes. Some are high-functioning - I wouldn't have known there was anything different about them right away. Others have autism so severe that they can't make eye-contact or speak. My own step-brother is autistic and falls somewhere between the two. You did nothing offensive, you just felt a little humble afterward. That being said; My little brother and I were born and raised in Texas and he has a Boston accent.

Comments

greekamira 0

how the hell do u post a pic on this thru your iPhone?

You select the picture you want then post it through the letter box. Simples.

you have to wait until the next solar eclipse. remember to upload it when the sun, the moon, and the earth are perfectly aligned.

pendatik, i'm pretty sure that means you'll probably have to fly back to pallet town and ask professor oak for a bulbasaur.

meglovesjoe 0

that's why you shouldn't make fun of anyone period.

kitt_en 0

OP wasn't making fun. They really just pointed it out.

meglovesjoe 0

38 I tired but I couldn't figure it out either so I just did it through my computer :/

nherbert92 0

that should be a compliment cos i know if i had autism i would rather people think that i hve an accent rather than autism. just sayin

WTF there's nothing wrong with being autistic.

golfer420 0

let me get this straight. you thought her brother had an accent when your friend didn't? GJ

kitt_en 0

He could have been adopted from another country. Or even from another part of the US, seeing as different parts of it have different accents.

for people who are saying it was an honest mistake the OP shouldn't had asked about that anyway even if he wasn't autistic ...

lillylove8180 0

This is an honest mistake, the kid could have been a higher level of autism. Appologize and your friend should forgive you. Easy as that.

Dude it's not that big of a deal. Apologize, say you didn't know (If you did know then YDI and you're a dick). if they're still pissed then they need to get over it and learn to deal because people are either going to ask or make comments.

yolie_fml 0

Agreed. It's not like OP said anything offensive.