By kggggg - 12/08/2010 11:00 - United States

Today, while at my friend's house, I noticed her brother had a bit of an accent. I laughingly said "Is it me or does your little brother have an accent?" She stared and replied with "No, he has autism." FML
I agree, your life sucks 16 784
You deserved it 47 383

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Quest_ 13

Alright, op, let me be the sympathetic one: if an "accent" is all you noticed, chances are that her brother is a high-functioning autistic. Autism varies from person to person. My step-mother works in SPED and gets a lot of autistic students in her classes. Some are high-functioning - I wouldn't have known there was anything different about them right away. Others have autism so severe that they can't make eye-contact or speak. My own step-brother is autistic and falls somewhere between the two. You did nothing offensive, you just felt a little humble afterward. That being said; My little brother and I were born and raised in Texas and he has a Boston accent.

Comments

awesome_shai20 0

i have Asperger's syndrome which is an autism spectrum disorder people cant tell that i have it unless i tell them please stop ripping on OP it was an honest mistake

Yeah. There are people with severe enough autism that it's fairly obvious they have a disability but most people on the autistic spectrum are mild enough that you'd probably only be able to tell if you really knew a lot about autism (like, more than average).

Being autistic doesn't give you an accent

AssassinBug 15

Do not worry, when I first saw Breaking Bad, I thought "Walt Jr. sounds retarded". Then it hit me, that guy is played by RJ Mitte. RJ Mitte has cerebral palsy. Some people have stupid moments, that was mine.