By kggggg - 12/08/2010 11:00 - United States

Today, while at my friend's house, I noticed her brother had a bit of an accent. I laughingly said "Is it me or does your little brother have an accent?" She stared and replied with "No, he has autism." FML
I agree, your life sucks 16 784
You deserved it 47 383

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Quest_ 13

Alright, op, let me be the sympathetic one: if an "accent" is all you noticed, chances are that her brother is a high-functioning autistic. Autism varies from person to person. My step-mother works in SPED and gets a lot of autistic students in her classes. Some are high-functioning - I wouldn't have known there was anything different about them right away. Others have autism so severe that they can't make eye-contact or speak. My own step-brother is autistic and falls somewhere between the two. You did nothing offensive, you just felt a little humble afterward. That being said; My little brother and I were born and raised in Texas and he has a Boston accent.

Comments

NaniisBadxP 0

fail smh i have a cousin with autism

omega802 0

I'm retarded..... what's autism?

It's the technical term for people who can't use Google unassisted.

You know, I'm autistic, and that comment was pretty damn offensive. Autistic people are not like that, and there are varying degrees. I, personally, have Aspergers Syndrome, which is a light form of Autism, but there ARE some people who can't function SOCIALLY. Autistic people aren't retarded or mentally challenged, we just don't function well when dealing with other people. A lot of very intelligent people are autistic. Do some friggin' research, you imbecile.

If this^^ was for me, please check your PMs. I meant no offense.

Well, i bet you felt good about yourself...

Ehh, I don't think you did anything particularly rude. My husband and I are both slightly Aspergic and have the typical Aspie voice - prosody, unless we're concentrating, and a vaguely English accent. I get accused of being English all the time - just the other day I ran into an old acquaintance from Uni who was surprised to see me, because she thought I'd have "gone back to England after I graduated". Oookay. Wanna know what's rude? One of my lecturers, who commented that dating DH must be "like dating your brother" because we were both so similar and "had affected voices". She didn't know about the Asperger's, but yikes, that was rude. I also had an acquaintance as a kid who learned one of my sisters was autistic. When she met her, the girl kept staring at my sister and saying sotto voce "Oh yeah, I can see now! She does look autistic! Her eyes are so wide-set...." I can only assume she was thinking of Down Syndrome (which my sister does not have, nor does she look like she does). So yeah... either of those things would have been rude and/or ignorant. Asking about his accent? Perfectly innocent. Don't feel bad.

justsayfuck u failed u tried 2 correct me and u urself got corrected

And thereby, I didn't even try to correct you (God no, where to start?! :o) but I was just making a comment about people not being able to type legibly.

TropicalTulipz 0

That's really just embarrassing and an honest mistake. Although if this person was a good friend you should have known.

My brother is autistic. He can often sound like he has an American accent. Chill, people. I'm sure OP meant no harm.

im autistic, and we often speak without "emotion" and may therefor be thought to have a strange accent

your autistic. that's amazing. I hope everything is great with you. my nephew is and I love him to death.