By Me - 03/06/2013 05:32 - United States - Homer Glen

Today, while at my aunt's funeral, my grandma who has terrible memory loss asked me whose funeral we were at. I had to explain to her that her daughter had died. FML
I agree, your life sucks 89 473
You deserved it 3 907

Same thing different taste

Top comments

That must have been a horrible thing to tell her.

angelofmusic113 9

Comments

Losing ones memory is my deepest fear because of this... To be at your own child's funeral and not be 100%... So sad. :(

Hopefully she doesnt forget it again and doesnt have to re-live that moment ever again.

CallMeWindSock 24

Sorry for your loss OP. I hope she didn't take it too badly.

God damn this is so depressing... Can you imagine suddenly being aware that you don't know where you are, noticing it's a funeral, then having someone explain to you that it's for your own child? This is by far and without a doubt the single saddest and most moving FML I have ever read. No witty joke here.

What kind of heartless bastards click Y.D.I for something like this?

MrBoredomioo 18

Sorry for your loss, and I hope she took it as well as one can when learning their daughter has died.

perdix 29

You should tell her it was someone you don't know, but your family likes to crash funerals for the free food. Who wants to be the bearer of bad news?

Perdix, I know you're the master of sarcasm and most of these stories lend themselves well to your witty bon mots, but this one? Not so much deserving the funny.

perdix 29

#30, you'd think it would be better to tell the old lady the bad news all over again for the nth time? If her memory is that bad, it's going to hit her as hard as it did the first n-1 times. My solution gets all the sorrow off the OP's shoulders. This is a humor site. If you find a story sad, don't read the comments section expecting to find any original uplifting content. Let's face it, all the sympathetic words said here are pretty standard stuff.

#30 All joking aside, I could understand someone lying in this case (not in a funny way though) to not have to break the grandmothers heart. The grandmother won't remember it either way, and might just have to ask again and again. If you just have to tell it once or twice, sure, but when you have to tell it more often it might be better to save yourself and the grandmother the pain. (Though that's probably more of an issue after the funeral, as in "why is [name of the aunt] not visiting?" "erm... she's... on a holiday.")

#36 Oops, either I was taking ridiculously long or your comment decided to not show up for a while, but I had not seen you had already explained yourself.

yeah im with Perdix on this one. the fact that her daughter isn't around is something she'll likely forget again. I have a great grandmother with memory problems, She has effectively replaced all her idenrities of peole who aren't around with people who are. So when I visit she thinks I'm my Uncle and she gives me a dollar for comic books and candy. It makes her much happier than to tell her that my Uncle isn't around anymore.

Yes, Perdix, I'm well aware that this is a humor site. I also happen to agree with you that explaining it to Grandma over and over would be heart wrenching for everyone. Probably would have been better for everyone for her to have been left at home with a family member. I usually find your comments pretty funny, and I've even said so a few times. That being said, doesn't matter to me if you're The Amazing Perdix or Oz the Great and Powerful; if I take exception to something, I might let you know. I realize you aren't used to that, but I'm confident you're strong enough to deal with it.

Uh, I commented above saying that this FML was actually depressing, but I don't find it offensive that Perdix was stronger in the ways of the wit and decided to push on despite the depressingness, but even if I DID, I wouldn't be so entitled as to imply that Perdix should regret posting a comment that offended me, and that I should clearly state as much. TL;DR, it's you that needs to learn to, as you put it, "deal with it."

I had to do the same thing at my friend's funeral, her grandmother has it as well and kept asking where she was and why is everyone so sad. Hard day, Sorry for your loss.

How t'f' does this get ydi....heartless assholes