By so pray to ariel about it, dipshits - 30/11/2012 19:29 - United Kingdom - Edinburgh

Today, two of my friends condemned me for being "narrow-minded", because I couldn't help but laugh at the thought that someone would believe mermaids actually exist. FML
I agree, your life sucks 22 198
You deserved it 5 150

Same thing different taste

Top comments

They actually did exist. They went extinct sometime in the 1500s.

Comments

gregkingsley 4

They do exist dummy they hang out with Bigfoot by the shorelines.

mzcherrybaby 2

Someone needs to watch Animal Planet...

It was a hoax. Declared later to be fake and merely a theory for if mermaids did exist. There is nothing that is true about it.

Derpenstien 4

It doesn't bother me that you think that. What bothers me is when someone says the same thing then runs off to church. How is one guy belief in small, unseen forces (like faeries) less valid than the belief of one massive, unseen, all-powerful force?

Doesn't really surprise me, since the whole point of religion is "my God is the one TRUE God; your God is just make believe." Religion has been putting down the beliefs of others since it came into existence.

Show me the proof that they don't exist...everything is possible unless proven otherwise.

NiktoLjubitTibja 2

The only reason I disagree with this FML is for the same reason I disagree with detractors of all personal choices: it doesn't matter what each person personally believes or lives as long as it doesn't affect a single other person. My being pagan doesn't affect anyone but me (no Christians are going to Hell because of me, no atheists are going to disintegrate just because I have a religion, etc), just like the next atheist's atheism doesn't affect me, but that person. Why should I care if some stranger is LGBT or not? Back to the FML, the OP had lived their life thus far just fine without knowing anyone believed mermaids existed, and they'll continue to do so. It doesn't matter that the OP doesn't believe in mermaids, because the people that do aren't going to affect their life any (they didn't before, and the past is indicative of the future). And as far as person-specific choices and lifestyles are concerned, if you are that heavily invested in someone's choices that has nothing to do with you, then you are seriously WAY too involved in people's lives (even creepier if they're strangers). If they're wrong, that's their consequences to suffer, not yours, so just let them live like they are, whether they believe in mermaids, deities, or the Purple Flying Spaghetti Unicorn.

But the difference between believing in some religion or other and believing in mermaids is vast. Religions are based on faith, and whilst you can argue that gods aren't real because no one has ever seen them you cannot actually prove they are not real, because the entire system is based on the belief of the follower of the religion. Mermaids, like unicorns, gryphons, chimaera, dragons, and other creatures of myth would require not faith, but zoological, archeozoological, or palaeontological proof - there would be bones, fossils or living specimens - believing mermaids is real is not a question of faith, it is simple lack of knowledge, and whilst you could say OP was wrong to laugh at people just for being a little stupid, she is not being 'narrow minded' in the slightest. It is also in everyone's best interest to correct people who think such things, because you're not insulting their beliefs, you are expanding their realm of knowledge, and therefore saving them from future embarrassment and the judgement of others who will assume they are stupid for not knowing mythological creatures are not actually real.

Except you forgot that little part where religion isn't based on just faith, but faith that the religion they believe in is the only right answer.

mermaid_ariel87 5

I actually broke up with my last girlfriend because of that. she was nice. but doesn't make up for the fact that she believed in mermaids

still...80-90% of our oceans have NOT been discovered which makes it a huge possibility that mermaids may exist. If we have only explored a little amount of ocean, then why are we denying the fact that there might be something down there? Same goes for the universe. How can we deny aliens when we we've barely begun to search the stars?

You need to start hanging out with smarter friends