By jesspie - 11/01/2013 02:41 - United Kingdom

Today, the abandoned cat that I took in for the night and during bad weather seems to have spread fleas around my house. They're everywhere. FML
I agree, your life sucks 19 270
You deserved it 38 254

Same thing different taste

Top comments

You did a good deed for a cat. I commend you.

Don't be such a pussy, get some flea-sprays and take care of that! At least now you have an awesome kitty. :)

Comments

BlackBlazeCobra 16

I gave you both an FYL and a YDI, due to the fact that you did a good deed for the cat but didn't check it thoroughly first.

Get a bowl and fill it with Dawn dish soap, plug a night light in and set the bowl on the floor under the night light. Turn off all the other lights, get some sleep and be amazed at your bowl of dead fleas in the morning!

Does that actually work if so I wash my dishes with poison, suddenly I'm not feeling too good.

Dawn kills fleas. My friend uses it to get rid of the fleas on her cats

Yeah but you have to bathe the cat in it. And then clean the f&$@ out of the carpet and bedding.

oj101 33

C'mon. You take in a stray cat, and expect that it's clean, flea free and healthy without diseases? YDI

If you have carpet, sprinkle salt over it and let it sit over night and then vacuum it; it'll dehydrate the little bastards. Also, try to give the cat a bath? If it's possible. Wash the bed sheets and like comments beforehand suggested, spray everything with flea spray. You have a good heart OP :)

To bath cat: 1/put some flea shampoo in the toilet; 2/pick up kitty and give it a cuddle; 3/suddenly throw kitty into the toilet and slam the lid (if you do it slow they'll be onto you too early); 4/flush a few times, and lastly; 5/open all doors leading outside, and standing way back, use a long stick to open the toilet lid. Bam freshly washed and flea-less cat. If it ever comes back

YOU aren't funny. That is cruel. To even suggest doing something like that to a living creature is barbaric.

bfsd42 20

Damn 33. Get a sense of humor. HE was funny. It made me laugh. It was clearly a joke. And I like cats too, before you accuse me of hating them.

pinkpanther61789 15

A simple case of "no good deed goes unpunished" props to you and your kindness op

When you take a stray cat, you should take it to vet to check it for diseases. You didn't do it, so it is your fault. You're lucky that's just fleas and not something more dangerous.

OP just took the cat in at night, plus the weather was bad. I'm not entirely sure, but the local vet offices were probably closed, and getting the cat cleaned was not enough of an emergency to have to go to those emergency animal hospitals.

Too bad most vets aren't open past like 6 and vet bills are extremely expensive, especially if OP didn't plan on keeping the cat and was going to take it to a shelter in the morning. Oh and not to mention they said it was during bad weather. Driving to the vet may not have been an option. Besides fleas are not hard to get rid of. OP possibly saved that cats life, and with it being night time there was NOTHING they could do. I mean really, if you had to pick between fleas, which aren't hard or expensive to get rid of, or letting the cat die (I assume from freezing to death), which would give anyone with a heart a guilty conscious, what would you choose?

Could be worse the cat could have rabies

On the brightside, you did a good deed. A few fleas here and there won't kill you. I love it when people go out of thier way to help unfortunate animals :) Good karma will come to you :)

skyeyez9 24

At least you can get rid of fleas. There are tons of products out there to kill those *******. Buy a bunch of flea collars and keep one on your cat, placed under your bed and under your sheets at the foot of your bed too. That will help while you use the flea killing powder in the carpets and whatever else you use.....vacuum the house real good and dump the dust bin outside each time or the fleas will just crawl out and back into your house.

That was a very kind thing to do, but you should have tried to confine the cat before calling a shelter or the vet in the morning. That said, there are great ways to get rid of fleas.

Shelters do not shelter pets. They house them for 72 hours then euthanize them. Shelters are death houses.