By someonesomething - 05/12/2009 11:24 - United States

Today, one of the comic companies I submitted to, replied back. They said that the story was boring, and the main character bland, generic, uncultured, had no potential for personal growth, a suburbanite, and an ignorant shut-in. I based the personality of the main character on my own. FML
I agree, your life sucks 28 250
You deserved it 12 819

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Kylias 6
LoveFifteen 0

To be honest, the comic company is probably pretty accurate in its assessment.

Comments

quarty165 0

YdefinitatelyDI The main character especially has to be interesting, unless the idea is that they learn to become interesting. Plus, if you're writing, you need to make sure it's readable and not have random commas in the middle of your sentence. Finally, you should expect rejection, even if you're a great writer. No one gets accepted the first time. It's what you make of the criticism that counts

#40 yeh - it's almost as as the OP is using a comma to show how they would say it out loud. I'm not normally a grammar-nazi, but this person is meant to be a writer. OP, if you are reading this, get someone to beta read/look over your writing. Everyone does! The majority of authors/writers/whatever can't afford an editor... so they get feedback elsewhere.

At least they responded. They must like something about your comic if they spent time writing back. Oh and next time don't use self-inserts.

The good news is at least they replied. I mean that tells you that the company at least had the decency to tell you what they thought was wrong. A lot of people would just throw it away and not say anything. They at least looked at it, which is a good thing. So I think you should take it as a self-improvement. At least you know you're dealing with a company that is going to reply back. So you should improve on your work and submit again.

Most times when people base characters on themselves, they don't know how to go about it, and they turn themselves into very predictable, bland, self-victimizing characters. Needless to say, it's difficult to turn a real person's complex personality into something presentable for a comic, especially when it's your own. You're a manga artist right? Realize how common that mistake is, and don't do it. I've seen this situation thousands of times. Self-inserts are a huge DON'T in writing unless you're a pro.

Sorry to bring up an old cliche, but... YDI. Get a real job.

This was an unnecessarily cruel response. Please don't stop believing in yourself because someone felt the need to be crass and attacking.

no offense dude but you're probably really boring

better luck next time. Don't let the idiots on here discourage u.