By pissedandpoor - 15/04/2016 17:50 - United States - Meadville

Today, my wallet got stolen. I had a bunch of cash, my SS card and my license in it. Now I have to replace everything, only to have to renew my license again when I turn 21 in June. FML
I agree, your life sucks 18 991
You deserved it 2 960

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Who carries their social security card in their wallet? That's just dumb man

Comments

You should never carry around your social security card! It's not a long number, I'd suggest just memorizing.

My mom had me memorize my SSN when I turned 16 because of how easy it can be to lose it if you leave your house with it. Seriously, report this to the police because you're at a very high risk of your identity being stolen.

The same thing happened to my nephew. I would contact the credit bureaus. And, file a police report

Mathalamus 24

i dont carry my wallet at all outside. precisely because its so much work if it gets stolen. i only carry what i *need*... more people should do this.

Why even have a wallet then? I keep everything I need in the wallet I carry...

I have 2 wallets. One with important documents that stays at home, and one for everyday.

Bud_fml 16

I only carry what I need in my wallet. What's the point of a wallet if you just leave it at home in a drawer anyway?

Mathalamus 24

organization. i keep my cards in there. debit, credit, ID, and so on. even if i dont actually take it with me, its still useful just as a card holder.

Seriously ... you carry your social security card with you?!? Were you on your way to the DMV/MVC? Before you bother replacing anything else, you should definitely contact the federal trade commission (http://www.consumer.ftc.gov) and report your stolen card. They may even issue a new number. After that, consider an identity protection service, as businesses mays till have your prior information. Keep your new card in a safe or other secure location as other posters have alluded to.

Dodge4x4Ram 46

at least you still have you're phone ?

usually you can renew your license months in advance

It may be different where OP is from, based on previous comments. But you are right for where I am. I renewed mine 1.5 years early when I changed my last name and address.

dbt88 15

Yeah, in Wisconsin you can get your renewal up to a year before the expiration date. I can't imagine two months would prevent you from that.

If your license gets stolen, they will give you a temporary one for free.

Not without proof of ID like, oh... say, a Social Security card?

goream2013 6

where i live you can renew your licence up to 2 months before your birthday.

Hence you only keep the essentials in your wallet. I have learnt the hard way not to keep original documents with you daily. The only original document with me is my debit card (for obvious reasons). My DL, vehicle registration, ID etc are all copies. It's a pain to replace documents.