By Anonymous - 05/01/2011 22:52 - United States

Today, my mother came over again to help me work on my Student Aid application. She also brought over the savings bonds that she has been accumulating since I was born to help pay for college. Turns out they won't reach maturity until I'm thirty. She never bothered to check out this fact. I'm screwed for college. FML
I agree, your life sucks 27 546
You deserved it 3 428

Same thing different taste

Top comments

birds_fml 7

You're not screwed. Just take out loans if you have to, and then when the bonds mature use them to pay off the loans. I mean, were those bonds REALLY enough to pay for your entire education? Depending on where you go, that could cost $40k or more.

shanameow 7

Well... Maybe you could use those in the future to help pay off student loans? Or a community college is a great way to get your general ed. out of the way, and save money!

Comments

it may be possible to sell the bonds on the market before they mature.

Surf till you're thirty then go to college.

depending on the bond, you can still cash them. a bond is "mature" when it stops earning interest. EE are purchased at half their face value and end up as their face value when mature. go to the treasury dept's online calculator to see what the value of your bonds would be if you cash them in. chances are, they'll have earned plenty of interest. At any rate, YDI for being a drama queen.

ulicksam 0

Typical douche expecting everything handed to them for doing nothing. Take out students loans like everyone else and stop your whining. YDI.

soo why are people under 13 on FML anyway?

so basically, your mom has been saving money since you were born to put you through college, and now poor, poor you has to wait to pay off your student loans. are you that stupid? loans work for now, and it'll give you a few years to appreciate your moms hard work. most people don't get any college fund and have to be a) smart so they can get a scholarship, b) join the military, or c) go into debt and work their ass off til the debt is repaid. well they all work their asses off but you get the idea. hard work breeds intellegence. obviously you'll do none of the 3 and become yet another leech on society with a sense of false entitlement, good for you.

kinda repeated myself a little, but whiny, entitled people complaining really grinds my gears

reddwarf_fml 0

u r a dick. geez. give mom SOME credit. what did YOU do for ur educational future. hmmmm.......

"she didn't bother to check it" uh you check it! And get student loans and get a job. Bet you don't have one

I think she means her mom didn't bother to check the bonds when she purchased them. Her mom probably thought they were a great idea (which, they can be) but didn't think of the aspect of her age, when the bond would reach maturity and the years she'd be in college.

hmna 0

^ this. Not only that, but several US Treasuries (assuming you are in the US) can be redeemed before they reach full maturity. You won't get the face value of the bond, but you'll get more than the purchase price. It's worth a look.

hmna 0

Sorry, you can buy corporate bonds in the US as well as US Treasuries. Try again.