By Anonymous - 05/01/2011 22:52 - United States

Today, my mother came over again to help me work on my Student Aid application. She also brought over the savings bonds that she has been accumulating since I was born to help pay for college. Turns out they won't reach maturity until I'm thirty. She never bothered to check out this fact. I'm screwed for college. FML
I agree, your life sucks 27 546
You deserved it 3 428

Same thing different taste

Top comments

birds_fml 7

You're not screwed. Just take out loans if you have to, and then when the bonds mature use them to pay off the loans. I mean, were those bonds REALLY enough to pay for your entire education? Depending on where you go, that could cost $40k or more.

shanameow 7

Well... Maybe you could use those in the future to help pay off student loans? Or a community college is a great way to get your general ed. out of the way, and save money!

Comments

Stop being such an ungrateful brat. YDI

You know you can cash them early, right? You might be penalized depending on how early it is. Just because they have not reached their full maturity yet does not mean you can not use them. It just means they have not reached their full potential.

xmarkstheheart 0

"Never bothered to check this fact?" More like "didn't do the math correctly when she first bought them."

1) Cry about it 2) Go get a job and put yourself through college by WORKING, like non whiny people do.

EDIT: FML really should make sure that replies stay as replies when getting a "not enough time" error.

Just use them to pay off your loans, dumb butt =P From what it sounds like, you probably won't graduate until you're 30 anyway.

no you're not. you're a spoiled brat. my parents didn't save anything for me since I was born. we lived paycheck to paycheck

Oprah had a special about low interest student loans oprah.com or harpo.com - can't remember. You could use the bond as collateral for a loan.

You can sell bond for cash. You might only get 50 to 75 cents on the dollar, but if you want money right this instant, that's a way to get it