By Anonymous - 30/12/2010 15:37 - United States

Today, my mom thought it would be a good idea for me to talk with a British accent during my job interview to make me sound smarter. I'm applying for a job at McDonald's. FML
I agree, your life sucks 29 592
You deserved it 5 365

Same thing different taste

Top comments

backdownbreh 0

'British is not a different language. you're a retard.

Ninjafriends 1

Did your mom suggest this while using a British accent to make her idiotic idea sound better?

Comments

As a British person, I think I should have a reaction, but I'm not sure if it's 'offended' or 'complimented'. A good London/South middleclass accent makes you sound educated and cultured. A chav accent makes you sound like someone who can't be bothered with spelling. Or birth control. And very fond of sniffing lighter fluid.

Oh dear, your mother is a crazy type of stupid.

Can somebody please explain what is meant by a "British accent", I'm from Manchester and can barely understand some people with a strong Liverpudlian accent, even though it's only about 30 miles away! It's like saying an "American" accent - I'm sure people from Texas don't have the same accent as New Yorkers! YDI, just for thinking that all Brits speak either Queen's English or Cockney (as these are the only two British accents that ever appear in American films/TV shows!) I might add that they are also often done extremely badly by American actors playing Brits - it's the pronunciation that gives it away every time! Grrrrrr!!

#75 I sat an American down to watch 'The Hairy Bikers'. Never again did she say anyone had a "cute british accent".

DO NOT mention a Texan and a New Yanker in the same sentence, thank you very much!

Or take a french accent, it's the best to say french-fries !!!

You'll get promoted to king of the fries! (or demoted since really your working at McD's :S)

Put on the strongest ENGLISH accent you can, don a waitcoat, carry a clockwork pocketwatch that is chained to said waistcoast, wear a monocle, and grow the largest moustache that will fit on your face (I don't care if you're a woman, at least try anyway) then apply as a character rather than a burgerflipper, and watch the royalties flow in xD

Where in England? you think your being specific here but even in London alone there are largely different accents, from received pronunciation to cockney you have to give the name of the ACCENT k?

Chances are, a potential employer may be able to see right through a false English accent.