By Anonymous - 19/05/2014 18:43 - United States - Shawnee

Today, my husband suggested we get divorced, "for tax purposes". FML
I agree, your life sucks 52 690
You deserved it 5 222

Same thing different taste

Top comments

JMichael 25

So then after taxes you get married again? You could make this a yearly thing.

I know of couples who are "separated", but live in the same house for tax breaks. Just another way to beat the system I guess.

Comments

wouldn't it take more money to get a divorce than you would save/get from the taxes?

Just straight on negating marriage with agreement from both sides and no kids is less than $100

Depends on what state you're in. I believe it costs $500 in Florida to get divorced, and that's just the court fees. That doesn't include the cost of a lawyer. My memory may be flawed, though, because my dad paid for my divorce. I was broke and he'd have given his left nut to get that soulless abomination out of my life. It only cost $150 for me to get married at the court house, though. I guess that's Florida's way of discouraging divorce.

Florida is expensive! It only costs $20 in Indiana.

£300+ in England. But only if you've been separated for two years and aren't quibbling about anything at all.

There is no way divorcing could be beneficial ... So tumbs up for creativity

Filing together can put couples in a much higher tax bracket than individuals. My husband and I file separately and save well over $4,000 a year. If they were divorced rather than filing separately they would also get child tax credits etc. So yeah... there's definitely a financial benefit.

Didju guys tumb me down cuz im black?

No we all thought it was fantastic.. Thanks caption obvious

cdawg69 10

can't I just feel sorry for her and say what I think, jeez I don't need to answer with some witty comment or do I

Actually there are couples that do that, it's worth it if you're both in the high income brackets.

Seriously? Sure that's not some other way to get rid of you? Hope this actually works out well for you OP

Remember this. Marriage and legal marriage are different. One is in your brain while is the other is a piece of paper.