By R281780 - 14/02/2016 15:53 - United States - San Jose

Today, my girlfriend is locked in the bathroom crying because I didn't buy her anything for Valentine's Day, even though Friday, at her suggestion, we agreed not to exchange gifts because both of our birthdays are a week away. FML
I agree, your life sucks 22 400
You deserved it 4 165

Same thing different taste

Top comments

well, she didn't buy you anything so what can she complain about

Sorry OP, girls who do those 'tests' can be confusing. Hope you guys can sort it out :(

Comments

aeryn97 17

rule number 1: Always buy her something for valentine's even when she says you don't have to. in this case, she meant the exact opposite. it can't be helped. many women suffer from this. she was being nice but still wanted to be surprised.

leogachi 15

@12 She wasn't being nice. You can't tell someone to not get you a gift, be upset that they didn't get you a gift, and still call yourself a nice person.

askullnamedbilly 33

That's not being nice, that's being immature. It comes from a very naive mindset where people in relationships (not just women either, I've seen the same phenomenon with men) assume that if their partner REALLY loves them, they'll just instinctually know what they want even if they tell them the exact opposite. It's ridiculous and it's unfair and in my opinion should not be rewarded with gifts.

12, read my comment above. And learn something from it.

Letting her get away with selfishness because she's a woman is not okay.

No, it pisses me off you act like this is normal. I can't say if this is like a lot of women, if it is they need to grow up. Even young children know to say what they want.

aeryn97 17

#31 this was kind of tongue and cheek really. as for learning I asked for nothing for v day and received nothing. my husband got nothing too. we are perfectly fine. we bought the 5 yr old a teddy and new star wars outfit and went to see deadpool on the 11th while the kid was in school. my mom is one of those women though. lol. locked herself in her bedroom when dad dudnt surprise her with a gift after she said not to. just get the gift as us sane women are few.

aeryn97 17

#45 it's a fb meme. yep. there was a meme floating around about this exact thing. it said first rule always buy a gift lol. like I posted above...I didn't care. I received nothing and am cool with that.

From now on, go around not asking for things and then throw tantrums whenever she doesn't do the things you didn't ask for. Keep it up until she gets the point.

xoxoblondee 31

Always have a card ready. I keep a bag of gifts in my closet for all occasions and any gender/age. Just little things like books, make up, toy cars, etc. It makes "I wanted to surprise you with your gift tonight!" Seem more believable.

Dodge4x4Ram 46

It's a trap! No gifts means, I want one gift that you just had to buy me because you love me so much. Also why I kept hidden jewelry for my wife just in case. Also never keep a secret gift for a girlfriend in a box that looks like a wedding ring box.

That sounds incredibly entitled on her behalf.

Lesson learned: when a female partner says "yes" or "no", the meaning is often reversed unless she's talking about "that" (in which it definitely means "no"). Unless there are times when they are replying honestly which...I'm still working out how to tell the difference between those situations and these :P.

Sounds like you need higher quality partners.

leogachi 15

@21 Women who act like that are the same ones who wonder why men don't know what they want. It's because they won't tell you what they want. Tell your partner(s) to be straightforward with you. If they say they don't want a gift, don't get them a gift. If they want something they should voice it.

Be careful, OP, she may lay these traps often

Sounds like she changed her mind. Probably saw everyone else get gifts and got over emotional. Hopefully she'll calm down and admit that she got what she asked for...and learn to know herself better and admit she wants a gift next year!

BloodyGlass 10

I don't understand. You both agreed to not get anything, so why is she upset? If I tell people I don't want anything, I mean it. Why would I say don't get me anything and then be upset when someone listened to my wishes?

Rule #1 of dealing with crazy people: Don't question crazy people you'll never be satisfied with the answer

She sounds confusing and double standards. Leave.