By Anonymous - 29/05/2015 14:23 - United States - Bradenton

Today, my father told me that my mental health issues, which have been confirmed by multiple doctors and tests, are all caused by the fact that I'm slightly overweight and don't exercise a lot. FML
I agree, your life sucks 28 421
You deserved it 4 772

Same thing different taste

Top comments

he's not completely wrong, correct food and exercise actually can improve mental health!

Soo what's the cause of your father being an asshole?

Comments

Original causes don't matter. Blame games are stupid and futile. That said, regular low impact exercise helps every health problem except, of course, an addiction to exercise.

Agreed, the father may have just been being honest. I doubt he purposely said it hurt OP's feelings, he could have been concerned with his son's health. Mental issues and FML should not be blamed on the father

33 - the differnce is the dad was rude and insensitive, and WRONG is what he actually said, the father was saying that it was ALL her fault she was sick. which it is not. the point about excersizing is correct, excersize does help boost mental health, but that wasnt the direct point he actually made. to tell a person with depression or anxiety that its their fault, it making the problem worse.

You making a lot of assumptions about how the conversation went down. You are assuming the father said "hey you know those mental health you problems you have? It's because you're slightly over weight and don't exercise" I highly doubt it went down like that, coincidently in enough characters to fit into an FML. I am sure the father was trying to be helpful and not hurtful, proven point: the father would not have said slightly if it was a jab at his offspring

im not making any assumptions, im going off exactly what the fml says. every fml has stuff left out, but we have to go by whats actually written unless we get a flollow up. sounds like the father was a douche the way op tells us im the fml

It doesn't hurt to exercise.. But your father sounds like a dick lol. Sorry Op.

I doubt the main issue is her father's weight comment (although that stuff seriously stings coming from a parent), but more that he just doesn't believe her condition/s are legitimate and that they can be fixed on a treadmill.

It's so much easier for people to blame problems on things which they perceive as "easy" to fix (such as weight) than realise some things have less obvious causes/are genetic/are triggered by a trauma etc. Having a good diet, exercise and general lifestyle routine greatly improves my bipolar symptoms but even if I lived the perfect lifestyle the underlying disorder would still be there.

tantanpanda 26

most diseases that are chronic have no cures. the whole point of the exercise advice is that it HELPS with their life, like yours. yes, the problem is still there, but it's better than if you had not exercised. The father is wrong on his approach (or op misconstrued the message), but exercising will help.

Yes. My point was his father wrong in the way he went about it. By BLAMING the problem on the OPs weight. (literally used the word "caused" so I can't blame the OP for misconstruing)

tantanpanda 26

most parents don't put advice in the most friendly way, especially the older generation. they give good advice, but in a harsh way. OP took his words too literally, which is their folly. when I meant misconstrued, I meant that OP might have heard/remembered it the wrong way. Like selective hearing, OP might have Just heard the bad and retold the story I'm a horrible way. with an unknown mental condition, it's not outrageous, even for normal people it's uncommon.

if that's true than all fat people would have mental issues then? Such a false statement

I think you're dad sounds like a dick tbh

Not to be a dick but I have feeling their OP often uses his/her illness as crutch.

How on earth did you reach that conclusion from a 30 or so word FML?

or because your dad is a ******* asshole. sorry OP :(

Well, a lack of exercise does contribute to mental health problems. Try exercising and see what it does for you. That adrenalin pumping through your body is great stuff. Plus it's free. You'll also get the added benefit of shaping your body up. Should you still have these issues, at least you can tell your father where to shove it. Get your vitamin D tested if not already done. Low vitamin D is also a contributor to these types of problems.

Depression often comes with fatigue and chronic pain. Exercising isn't a simple task, and often the endorphin rush from exercising can't overcome the negative effects from depression - especially when the post-exercise pain sets in and you feel even *worse* and hate yourself even more.

tantanpanda 26

no one is asking you to do heavy lifting. exercise doesn't always come with after pain, you know.

just because a depressed person doesnt wanna exercize, doesnt mean they shouldnt. i live with depression myself, and although i cannot bring up the mental energy to lift weights and hardcore exercize, theres no reason i cant decide to go take a walk or something simple. its called trying to help yourself out. i understand the depression makes ot harder, but you still have to attempt make am effort. if you dont try to treat your own diseases yourself then who will?