By Anonymous - 01/07/2011 22:02 - United States

Today, my dad spent a full half hour trying to convince me that Judaism is a race. FML
I agree, your life sucks 28 847
You deserved it 6 522

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Elenachka 0

a lot of people seem to think that

Can't Judaism be a religion and a race? **** me if I'm wrong.

Comments

Oh great, not this argument again... I've had that same discussion with numerous people. Some people just refuse to change their minds, no matter what. It's not worth even trying with people like that.

rmeyer6 0

well I'm Jewish and while it is a religion, it is more like a race or ethnicity to most Jews because of how few of us are out there.

I am also jewish and most Jews I know think the same however rabbis and teachers would say otherwise

jbabedd 15

Judaism is a race. The Supreme Court ruled it that way in 1980. Despite it also being a religion, Judaism is passed down through mothers. If your mother is Jewish, technically, so are you. That doesn't mean that everyone that's Jewish by race is a practicing Jew religiously, but your dad was right. It's a race.

Just because the U.S courts ruled it that way doesn't necessarily make it right. The U.S. doesn't rule the world, and just because the U.S. says it doesn't mean the rest of the world sees it that way. Plus, they have bern wrong before, so I'm sure it's possible for them to be wrong again. I'm from the U.S., but it just bothers me that some people think that whatever the U.S. says or does is automatically right.

Reyes11216 0

Well in 1980 the US Supreme court said judaism is a race for anti-discrimination laws. So in a way he is right.

Miss33_fml 15

Being Jewish would be a race (being born from a mother who is Jewish). People can be followers of Judaism without being Jewish, so I'd say that Judaism isn't a race.

MrSexyPants 14

it's an ethnicity. because Jews became so isolated especially in Europe. For example, Tay Sachs disease is most common in people of Jewish descent. not because they are of a certain religion...