By Agata - 21/12/2009 16:15 - United States

Today, my boyfriend of 3 years announced that he is not ready for marriage, and won’t be for 'at least' another 2 years. Of course he waited to tell me this 2 days after he had proposed to me in front of hundreds of people, I said yes, and we announced it to all our family members and friends. FML
I agree, your life sucks 33 217
You deserved it 2 865

Same thing different taste

Top comments

InstaKarma 0

Maybe he is just feeling overwhelmed by the new stage your relationship has progressed to. Either way, if you two actually love each other, talk about it and maybe just have a long engagement. FYL because that is a hell of a let down.

caticaticati 3

I've known people who were engaged for a year or two before the wedding... it takes time to plan that shit and find the money for it. I wouldn't be surprised if my boyfriend proposes while we're in college and then we wait to actually get married until we've both graduated.

Comments

he should have prefaced the proposal with telling you he wanted a long engagement. he just wanted to trap you with the ring. give it back, continue dating him and others.

Okay, yeah, two years is a normal amount of time to just be engaged, but if you're not ready for marriage, don't propose! He says 'at least' which means he still isn't even totally sure. So why propose at all? Unless you begged and begged until he felt forced to. In which case leave him for someone less spineless.

NotNegativeNews 0

I don't think 'at least' does mean he's not totally sure. He's meaning he wants to be engaged to her, to promise that they'll get married. But that the actual wedding/marriage won't occur for at least a few years. It means he's not setting a date for the wedding, not that he's not sure he won't want to marry her.

Connkidd 0

Your boyfriend is the kind of person who should not be smoking marijuana. It's ok for most people, but for some, like your boyfriend, it can have very bizarre side effects. Like making him think he should propose to you and announce your engagement to the family. You should know better... keep him away from the mighty weed.

Are you serious? TWO YEARS IS NORMAL TO YOU? **** that. I'm waiting a year and a half because we don't have the money to do a nice wedding right now and that's hell enough as it is.

somepartsareme 0

@46 Oh no! Someone was offended by a joke! *gasp* ON THE INTERNET!

wow he's an idiot.. why propose if he's not ready yet.. what's the point in being engaged for years.. seriously you propose when you're ready.

Honestly.. I'm a 16 yr old idiot so I don't know much. But I think he really loves you. He was crazy enough to do what he did. But I hear every man get's cold feet. You'll get down that aisle one day though hang in there. :)

catastrophicsock 0

Yeah, you don't know much. Chances are he's cheating. Or she MADE him propose.

mmaire 0

I think this is the sort of thing that should be discussed BEFORE the proposal. My boyfriend KNOWS that I don't want to be engaged for more than a year and don't want to plan a wedding while I'm in lawschool. I know he wants at least a year to settle into his job. BECAUSE WE TALK ABOUT IMPORTANT THINGS WE WANT. If you're going to get engaged, everyone better be on the same page. There's a difference between wanting a long engagement and being unready for marriage. I don't want a ring until he is DEAD SURE he wants to marry me, sure enough that we start planning the thing and get it done. I don't think that's too much to ask for - sure, if you want to take your sweet time planning, go for it, but don't hang around for a 'we'll see.' I'd take the ring and give it back to him. Continue dating, if you really think he just needs time, but don't consent to an open-ended engagement.