By Agata - 21/12/2009 16:15 - United States

Today, my boyfriend of 3 years announced that he is not ready for marriage, and won’t be for 'at least' another 2 years. Of course he waited to tell me this 2 days after he had proposed to me in front of hundreds of people, I said yes, and we announced it to all our family members and friends. FML
I agree, your life sucks 33 217
You deserved it 2 865

Same thing different taste

Top comments

InstaKarma 0

Maybe he is just feeling overwhelmed by the new stage your relationship has progressed to. Either way, if you two actually love each other, talk about it and maybe just have a long engagement. FYL because that is a hell of a let down.

caticaticati 3

I've known people who were engaged for a year or two before the wedding... it takes time to plan that shit and find the money for it. I wouldn't be surprised if my boyfriend proposes while we're in college and then we wait to actually get married until we've both graduated.

Comments

Watch the Wedding Singer.. it coulda been worse

EveryDayJackAss 0

from my experience from reading FMLs on this awesome yet retarded website, there is probably a SLIGHT chance that he's cheating on you......well, we'll know if you post an FML two years later :D

xd0rkiee 0

Two years is not a long time. Some people get married after years after their engagement. He still wants to marry you. Besides, planning takes a long time. Suck it up, bridezilla.

Indecisiveness can lead to worse results than people who pick the wrong decisions. At least people can learn from the latter. If he isn't "ready" for marriage now, who's that to necessarily say that he'll ever be. It's time to get a new boyfriend.

No it's not "time to get a new boyfriend." An engagement period of 2 years is normal...

mozrox 0

Sooooo... What's the problem here? At least he proposed to you. I've been with my boyfriend for four years, and he still hasn't even asked me yet. I'd love to be in your position. Stop whining and enjoy your engagement.

@mozrox Then why don't YOU propose to HIM if he hasn't proposed to you yet? Geez, YOU stop whining and (Wo)man up!

catastrophicsock 0

Maybe she wants to be proposed to. My boyfriend and I have been together 5 1/2 years, no proposal yet. He wants to wait till he has a job to afford the ring, instead of taking money from savings, since he didn't earn that money. I managed to find a job and could probably propose in the not so distant future, but I'd prefer he propose to me, and he would too. In fact, though I know there are exceptions, I think most guys would prefer to propose.

You want to be proposed to for the sake of being proposed to? That's just stupid. You should only want to be proposed to if you're ready to get married. This bloke obviously isn't ready to get married yet so he shouldn't be proposing. And why would a girl want to be engaged when she doesn't even know if her boyfriend is ever going to marry her? That's messed up.

@LilaBear: My thoughts exactly. Why did he propose if he's not ready for marriage? Dumb...

So you have a long engagement? So what? You obviously said yes. You planned to be with him for the rest of your life anyway. What does it really matter that much weather you get married tomorrow or in two years?

shortmomma88 0

you can plan a fantastic wedding in 2 years! my brother and his wife took 18 to plan their wedding after getting engaged, and it was beautiful!!

he just wants a long engagement. big deal. stop trippin

2 years it a little long but i can understand it. 1 weddings are expensive, maybe he wants to be sure a wedding won't put him on the edge financially. 2 he is worried you might dump him for not advancing the relationship after 3 years 3 if you cant be boyfriend and girlfriend/fiances for 5 years how can you expect to be married for the rest of your lives?

So he wants to wait a couple years to get married? What's the big deal? Weddings are expensive and take a lot of planning. Did you ask him why? Maybe he wants to have enough money to pay for a nice wedding, be finished with school first, have money for a house, or something else that takes time. Get over it Princess. It's not like he dumped you.