By Agata - 21/12/2009 16:15 - United States

Today, my boyfriend of 3 years announced that he is not ready for marriage, and won’t be for 'at least' another 2 years. Of course he waited to tell me this 2 days after he had proposed to me in front of hundreds of people, I said yes, and we announced it to all our family members and friends. FML
I agree, your life sucks 33 217
You deserved it 2 865

Same thing different taste

Top comments

InstaKarma 0

Maybe he is just feeling overwhelmed by the new stage your relationship has progressed to. Either way, if you two actually love each other, talk about it and maybe just have a long engagement. FYL because that is a hell of a let down.

caticaticati 3

I've known people who were engaged for a year or two before the wedding... it takes time to plan that shit and find the money for it. I wouldn't be surprised if my boyfriend proposes while we're in college and then we wait to actually get married until we've both graduated.

Comments

guckylynn 19

Maybe you should have a long engagement then?

AntiChrist7 0

Perhaps he wants to marry you, just not for a few more years? That really sucks though. He should have discussed that sort of thing with you before proposing.

000ooo 0

This is not a FML. When were YOU planning on getting married? It's called an ENGAGEMENT. You've been proposed to, which is a promise of marriage, it's more than some women ever get, so be thankful. I got engaged this year and by the time we get married, we will have been engaged 2 and a half years, and will have been together for 6 and a half. Marriage isn't something you dive into, if you want it to work anyway. Stop being so selfish. If I were your fiance and saw this, I'd realize that I could probably never make you happy and just break it off. Then maybe you could write a valid FML, but then I would just check "you totally deserved it"

MVP301 0

It sounds like you're settling yourself. " It's more than some women ever get"...Wooooowwwwww maybe you should reevaluate your own relationship because from the way you're ranting it doesn't sound like you're to happy about being together for 6 years with no security in your relationship, PROMISES can be broken.

000ooo 0

Reevaluated my relationship: Going strong and happier than you'll ever be. And if you could comprehend properly, you would understand we haven't already been together 6 years, we will be together that long when we get married. So if you can do math, that's four years we've been together. And yes, you are right, promises do have the possibility to be broken, but that is not what happened to this woman which is why I believe her post is essentially invalid. It wasn't like he was a runaway groom. Two days after their engagement, perhaps that was his suggestion for when they should set a date. Still sounds to me like this woman blew things out of proportion. And my comment about engagement is more than some women ever get is alluding to the stories of other women who have been in a relationship for 5,6,10 years, waiting for the next step which never comes. I'm not sure if you thought I was talking about myself, because I clearly stated I am engaged.. In any case, your judgment of me and my relationship was off the mark, as was your understanding of my comment overall so you're welcome for clearing it all up for you.

MVP301 0

How do you know that I'm not happy....smh....LoL... Women who wait around that long for a ring should just hang it up in the first place because they've made a commitment that he CLEARLY hasn't made nor does he plan to....I understand that you said you were engaged my point was that you didn't sound too happy about the wait by the way you're attacking this woman about her not KNOWING that he intended to wait so long. People have a right to know what their partners want up front. It's better to say that I'm uncertain about my ability to make this commitment up front before presenting a ring. If he's uncertain now their is no guarantee that he will be ready in 2 years.

"Marriage isn't something you dive into"... you said it. If it's not something you dive into, why propose to your significant other if you aren't "ready for marriage"?

000ooo 0

Since when does marriage = engagement? I also said the engagement is like a getting ready period and it sounds like the guy needs at least two years before he's ready for the marriage day itself. I also said he must be at some degree of readiness because he went ahead with obtaining a ring to give her in a very public proposal. He's obviously sure he wants to marry her, they just clearly haven't decided on when. And frankly, instead of whining on here about it like a child she should be discussing it with her finace and they should be working this out and setting a date so they ARE both on the same page, and that would clear up uncertainty on both parts.

MVP301 0

I think a lot of ppl commenting are missing the problem with what the boyfriend did and saying that she is complaining. It's not a complaint she is upset for a GOOD reason. It almost seems like a setup to make sure that she is there. SUre ppl get engaged and AGREE to wait for 2 years for the wedding but that's not what happened. SHe was excited and ready to plan only to find out 2 days later that that was NOT what he had in mind. She HAS to wait because he's not ready yet. You propose when you are ready you don't make a commitment of this magnitude unless you are sure at that MOMENT not sure you'll be ready in 2 YEARS. He could get to the 2 year mark and say I need 2 MORE years. The 2 year thing was sprung on her not discussed between them because of finances, school,the size of the wedding, or anything that makes sense. He said he proposed and he wasn't even ready.... THE END....The guys is a JERK!!!!....Good Luck with him because he wasn't thinking about you when he proposed....

NotNegativeNews 0

Sounds more like she ASSUMED they'd get married in a year's time or something, after the engagement. If someone proposed to me, I'd assume that they wanted to wait at least 2 years before the actual marriage.

000ooo 0

And if people proposed when they were ready, there wouldn't be an engagement which is essentially a "getting ready" period, they would get hitched the next day. And I would argue that he is at some degree of readiness because he clearly went ahead to purchase a ring and make a very public proposal. I also doubt it was some scheme to "make sure that she is there". She has the right to leave at anytime. Didn't sound to me like he is holding her hostage. Did she tell him that she would be ready and wants to marry next month? If she hasn't put her two cents in then she really cannot whine. Like the Tango, it takes two for marriage.

MVP301 0

Clearly she didn't assume that it would be that long and as far as I know I've never met anyone that proposes and says that they are ready but not for At LEAST another 2 years which has a possibility of extending. People shouldn't propose if they are unsure of the commitment. It should come when they are sure and if they choose to have a long engagement to plan an elaborate wedding, for a certain day, or to make sure finances and other life essentials are in order then that makes sense but to say that and engagement is a test run for the uncertain is absurd. The 3 or 4 years you were together was a test run. I'm essentially promising myself to you while you're teetering on the edge of uncertainty....All I'm saying is that if you want to be married then let me know that you are sure that I'm the one and we are getting married NOT that you're unsure and you need 2 years to get your head together, by the way here's a ring to mark my territory. Life is not a trial stage and you only get one.

And he'd do the stripper just because she was there. . .

NotNegativeNews 0

So? Sounds more like he was saying he wants a long engagement, not that he's breaking up with you or never wants to marry you. Which sounds fine to me.

NotNegativeNews 0

Yes, 2 years is very normal. If people got engaged and then announced their wedding date as sooner than 1.5 years I'd be all 'woah that's FAST!!!' and a bit shocked. 2 or 3 years is the norm here.

So? It's called a long engagement and no stressful planning.